Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to estimate the layout area of the power transistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaq

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

Suppose my size of the power transistor is w=900um l=0.7um
If I use the "waffle" style of layout method, how do I estimate the layout area of the power transistor?

(the spacing in a contact to poly gate is 0.4um, the min. gate poly is 0.5um)

Do you plan to draw the power mos with how many fingers (m= ?)

jttzeng said:
Do you plan to draw the power mos with how many fingers (m= ?)

Dear jttzeng,

Suppose that I assume the W=9um L=0.7um M=100 (sorry, this is my first time to draw a power mosfet in a layout in my life, so I don't know how to determine the unit size of the transistor.)

Is it reasonable?

No body knows?

Just do some math. I don't know how big your contacts are, but suppose they're .4x.4. If you make the layout 10 rows of 10 fingers each, plus maybe a dummy on each side then you'll have 12 * .7 = 8.4 um in total gate length. For the area between gates, you'll have .4 on each side of the contact plus .4 for the contact = 1.2 um. You'll have 12+1 of these so 13*1.2 = 15.6 um. Total width will then be 15.6+8.4 um = 24 um wide. Height will be 9 u x 10 rows = 90 um. Probably want to add about 10-20% to this number for spacing between rows, so make it 105 um. Total area then will be 105 x 24. That's how you can calculate it....optimize it to however you want it to be, using the correct value for gate to contact distance plus contact width.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back