Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to erase PIC16C73A using UV Erasing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITP

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
UV Erasing PIC16C73A

Hi All,

I am not able to erase PIC16C73A microcontroller using an UV Eraser.
I have tried upto 20 min. This is the maximum time avilable on eraser.

Any comments.

Note: I am not using code protection.

Regards
Itp

Hi,

I could erase it after exposing the chip on UV for about 1.5 hrs.

Why this chip is taking this much time. Any body has similar experience.

Regards
Itp

Re: UV Erasing PIC16C73A

A long time ago I had similiar problems with good old Eprom's some types needed at least 1 to 2 hours to get completely erased ...

Nowadays most things are flash based which of course can give other problems :)

best regards

Try to clean it with some cleaner!!! The problem is often an old window on the chip!!!

PIC16C73A have advanced security feature with security bits placed under the metall layer.
There is no way to erase 73A with security bits set.

Hi TEHb,

My code protection bit was not set.
But It is surprising that why they (MicroChip) made it impossible to erase if protection bit is on. I think flash devices don't have this problem.

Regards
Itp

I'm sure it was a bug of microchip. I lost some chips until I realized that the problem is setting the security bit. The current version of the mplab ask you to confirm burning the security bit on problematic chips.

I did-not like Microcip's response to my complains, such a 'feature' should have been written on the cover page of all documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back