Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to easily learn to write drivers for USB devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kekon

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
USB Considerations

Although I have used FTDI USB chips for some time with no problems (excellent documentation, whereby they are very easy to use) I still think that USB is screwed up in 50%. The neccesity of installing a driver is horrible. Why the hell they didn't design it so that it wouldn't need any driver ? (it could have been done so that each USB device would have the same data exchange protocol controlled by one, standard driver)
Such interfaces like RS232, LPT have their standard drivers included in the operating system and any device connected to PC doesn't need any driver updates when the operating system changes. Some companies offer microcontrollers with USB interface, but they don't give any driver so FTDI chips still remain the best solution and any competitors have no chances. Because of that, USB is sometimes called Useless Serial Bus :) Nevertheless, I'd like to get to know USB more deeply.
I know there are some good books on the market such as "USB Complete" concerning the problem. But is there any "not very painfull" way to learn how to write drivers for USB devices ?

Re: USB Considerations

yes, pay some money and get the commerically available driver like Jungo then you can easily build your application on top.

USB Considerations

DDK is the root method to develop the driver. However WINDRIVER and some other can help you. CYPRESS website is valuable.

Re: USB Considerations

hi i see some books about usb in the upload/downloand section

good books for development application using usb

USB Considerations

What is the difference between converting RS232 to directly interface with USb? IS the speed limited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back