Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to drive the opto-coupler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzou_ua

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My control signals out from a buffer would go thru. the opto-coupler to drive a inverter module.
Is there any required MINIMUM value for the input current of opto-coupler?? Buz the signals out of buffer is just 6mA... Thx a lot. (The datasheet shows IF vs. VF curve fro IF ranging from 0 to 20mA, so it seems that it does not matter what the input curr. is...)

You would have a resistor in series with the input diode. There will be a minimum "on" voltage requirement (3V) I think 6 mA may be enough.

Well, I think needed driving current depends on the required speed (or rate) of change of the opto-coupler output circuit. If your application is low frequency, you can use the minimum driving current (proved that driven circuit is really turned on /off). Otherwise you need to know the rise / fall delays effectively obtained with a given ammount of driving current.

Reactions: yzou_ua

yzou_ua

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yzou

Find bellow a circuit I used to drive a wash-machine motor and works fine.
Note that current that drive optocoupler is at same magnitude of 6mA you said : ( 5v-2v ) / ( 680R ) = ~4mA.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Reactions: yzou_ua

yzou_ua

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thx a lot.
I think u r right and my appli. is high speed ... I choose 16mA at last.

Well, I think needed driving current depends on the required speed (or rate) of change of the opto-coupler output circuit. If your application is low frequency, you can use the minimum driving current (proved that driven circuit is really turned on /off). Otherwise you need to know the rise / fall delays effectively obtained with a given ammount of driving current.

Status
Not open for further replies.