Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to download my .hex file to the ATmega8 by ISP interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hero0765

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to download my .hex file to the ATmega8 by ISP interface using parallel port?

hi:
I need a sofeware to finish this job, who can introduce me what sofeware I need.

Last edited:

Actually there is a small catch for programming AVR via ISP interface.
As you may be aware that an AVR could be programmed in three ways, ISP, Parallel and JTAG.
Mega 8 does not have a JTAG interface, so you are left with ISP and Parallel programming.
The catch is in order to program via ISP interface you you'll have to burn the fuse for enabling the ISP interface, as AVRs don't have that fused burned by default.
So you are left with the choice of Parallel programming interface, you could buy universal programmer like Genius540, or something like AVR Dragon.
Or you can make a programmer yourself like the one "ckshivaram" mentioned.
For the software, AVR studio has buildin support for AVR Dragon, Genius comes with its own software, and for the one mentioned by "ckshivaram" the software is available at the link in a zip file.

The catch is in order to program via ISP interface you you'll have to burn the fuse for enabling the ISP interface, as AVRs don't have that fused burned by default.

YOU ARE WRONG! The ISP interface IS enabled by default along with the internal clock. It is only when you program the CLSEL fuse incorrectly that you will have no choice but to use parallel programming (not parallel port, high voltage parallel programming)

the link ckshivaram posted above should help you if you want to use an ISP programmer that uses your PC's parallel port pins.

Thanks for the correction. I wonder why I never get a new chip with the fuse implemented.

BTW on a lighter note there is no CLSEL fuse.

Thanks for the correction. I wonder why I never get a new chip with the fuse implemented.

You mean that all the AVR you buy have the SPIEN dissabled?

This is from the mega8 datasheet, you can easily see the default values for RSTDISBL (reset disable) and SPIEN (serial prog. enable)
ATMega8_fused.gif

Also the default clock:
"The device is shipped with CKSEL = “0001” and SUT = “10” (1 MHz Internal RC Oscillator, slowly rising power).

I have never seen a device with different default settings.

hi:
I need a sofeware to finish this job, who can introduce me what sofeware I need.
You didn't mention if you have any specific programmer but you can either use ponyprog (PonyProg - Serial device programmer) or AVRdude , the both support many different programmers.

I personally use AVRdude and specifically a front end that makes fuse settings very easy, the AVR Burn-O-Mat (AVR8 Burn-O-Mat avrdude GUI)

Alex

I have been checking my inventory of ATMegas and here are the results:
ATMega32L Plastic Packing (Reel of 10) SPIEN fuse programmed
ATMega16L Plastic Packing (Reel of 10) SPIEN fuse programmed
ATMega8L (Reel of 25) 7 already used 18 present 7 used did not have SPI fuse programmed, checked the remaining 18, none of them have any fuse programmed, including SPIEN.

This leads me to assume that the reel must be from the same batch in which due to some reason SPIEN was not programmed by default.

Thanks to all for correcting my wrong assumption (out of experience rather than reading the data sheet)
Nutshell: Read the data sheet carefully even if you are a computer engineer.

I have been checking my inventory of ATMegas and here are the results:
ATMega32L Plastic Packing (Reel of 10) SPIEN fuse programmed
ATMega16L Plastic Packing (Reel of 10) SPIEN fuse programmed
ATMega8L (Reel of 25) 7 already used 18 present 7 used did not have SPI fuse programmed, checked the remaining 18, none of them have any fuse programmed, including SPIEN.

This leads me to assume that the reel must be from the same batch in which due to some reason SPIEN was not programmed by default.

Thanks to all for correcting my wrong assumption (out of experience rather than reading the data sheet)
Nutshell: Read the data sheet carefully even if you are a computer engineer.

You confuse me a little bit with that,
what atmel calls programmed (everyone wonders why...) is when the value is 0,
an unprogrammed fuse has a value of 1
When we talk about AVR fuses we should call it that way too so we can understand each other (and because this is also how it is written in datasheets)

The SPIEN factory setting is 0 which is programmed and means that serial programming is enabled

So you have 20 chips with SPIEN programmed (i wonder what value do you mean)
and 18 with SPIEN unprogrammed,
in any case half of them are wrong , it seems strange.

Alex

P.S. I know of another saying about manuals: when every possible solution fails, read the manual

By programmed I mean 0
and unprogrammed as 1

As the datasheet puts it.

I did a search using google about ATMega8L unprogrammed SPIEN but i didn't get any results,
it remains a mystery...

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back