Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to do parallel termination for ethernet controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buenos

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

when we use ethernet controllers, and connect them to the magnetics (built into the connector), we have to use parallel terminations on both, RX and TX pairs.

-Where is the location of them? At the receiver end? I think it makes sense only there. Not at the source end of the trace. In a design guide from Realtek, they say, i have to put them to the source end. Is it a mistake? Or i dont know something? So, then, where?

-terminating to ground, or to AVCC? i found reference designs, for both. whats the difference? Does it depend on the controller?

Re: Ethernet termination

u can terminate at the source end as well as in receiver end,but it depends on application

Ethernet termination

but parallel termination at the source?
i use serial termination at the source and parallel at the receiver-end in other applications, not ethernet.

Re: Ethernet termination

buenos said:
but parallel termination at the source?
i use serial termination at the source and parallel at the receiver-end in other applications, not ethernet.

Is depend of type of output driver.

If low impedance voltage source (simular OP-amp output) using serial termination to rise impedance.

If high impedance current source (drive via transistors in current mode - not satturated or current mirror) using parallell termination to lower impedance.

---

Most case is low impedance voltage driver and need serial termination and high impedance recivers and need parallell termination.

Ethernet termination

at other manufacturers, they recommend the termination at the receiving-end. (SMSC, CirrusLogic)

Ethernet termination

Manufactories (Intel, Cirrus Logic SMSC and etc..) are recomeding magnectics and termination schematics check there app notes and data sheets

Ethernet termination

ok. i see. there are not ultimate solutions, or the manufacturers dont provide info to chose myself, i have to use what they chose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back