Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to do load pull simualtion on diode in ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxsidou

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello, I read a paper saying that the harmonic impedance of diode could be simulated by load-pull in ADS. Does anyone know how to simulate? I checked the simulation template in ads and found no such load-pull simulation for diodes. Actually, I want to design one frequency tripler and study the characteristic of diodes. Could anyone give me some suggestions? thanks in advance.

In this document from Keysight is mentioned many times: " Replace the device with your device or amplifier". So the load pull works also with other devices, not only amplifiers. Replace the amplifier shown in the paper with your diode multiplier, and ignore the DC bias (e.g. set to a fix value).

maxsidou

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
In this document from Keysight is mentioned many times: " Replace the device with your device or amplifier". So the load pull works also with other devices, not only amplifiers. Replace the amplifier shown in the paper with your diode multiplier, and ignore the DC bias (e.g. set to a fix value).

thanks for your help, I thought the template is only for the amplifier and I'll read the document carefully.

Diode Tripler and Load Pull ?? You confuse something..
Load Pull is used to find Optimum Impedance for max. Delivered Power or max. Efficiency or max. Gain.Characterization of a Diode is done by either HB simulation-if the model is sufficiently accurate- or measurements.Am I missing something ??

Diode Tripler and Load Pull ?? You confuse something..
Load Pull is used to find Optimum Impedance for max. Delivered Power or max. Efficiency or max. Gain.Characterization of a Diode is done by either HB simulation-if the model is sufficiently accurate- or measurements.Am I missing something ??
thanks for your reply, BigBoss. Yes, I'm also amazed when I see tripler using source and load-pull. Before that, I only use HB simulation and match the diode pair aiming to get better input/output return loss and conversion loss. here is the paper link: https://www.mdpi.com/2079-9292/9/8/1201

In this paper is shown source- and load-pull simulations done for a diode frequency tripler:

In fact, things are simple. Output power vs input power of the tripler gives the frequency tripler loss (name gain) which later could be translated in frequency tripler efficiency.

maxsidou

I have read the paper provided by vfone. It looks like a procedure to find Optimum Load and Source Impedances that give max. Output Level at tripled frequency.In fact, it's pretty easy to analysis in ADS by HB method.
Even-tough there isn't any direct usable Load Pull Design Guide template, one appropriate one can be used with some minor modifications.

maxsidou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back