Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to do a mp3 encoder in hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boeysue

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ieee paper for mp3 encoding

As title,thanx a lot!

Do you want to know how to make an ASIC? Or just a general HW?

If you are looking for an ASIC aproach, you can decide if you want to use a DSP based core and have a memory inside and then you can use the DSP core to do what ever you want to do, the other way is to implement the MP3 functionality in VHDL and synthesise it. The third one is to use a processor core, with memory and write the microcode inside the processor.

But, if you give more information about what you want to do, it will be easier to discuss it.

BR,
/Farhad

h**p://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/decoder/overview

Actually, I want to make a software model of it first. But which mp3 encoder free software is easily to get.And I want to make it in asic way to implement it. Is it there any information about it in the internet?Thanks a lot. I am a beginer in this region.

You know a simple google search could answer to your question. You will find your answer in less than 20 minutes.

BR,
/Farhad

Actually I already found two source code in google,but I want to know which one is the most popular in implementation...

Is it any chip that can encode mp3 ?

Is shinefixed popular for the implementation of mp3 encoder ? or lame is the most popular code for implementation?Thanks for help..

Ok,
This is very different than your oroginal question.

Can you first of all let us know what you want to do? Do you want to create an ASIC? An FPGA based design? Or a HW/SW combination.

Again, based on these 3 different "ways" you will get different answers.

I personaly have no idea how popular Lame or Shinefixed are, but implementaiton of them in HW is a whole different story and what has their popularity anything to do with the implementation of an MP3 design in HW?

You want to find a popular one and then use it on your device/design?

Give more info about what you want to do and you will get more specific answer.

BR,
/Farhad

boeysue

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
algorithm ---> simulation ----> implementation

Actually,I have not yet decide to which way to implement:
Is Mp3 encoder's hardware different between HW/SW Asics DSP?
But basically I will make it in HW/SW or DSP.

1.Which solution is most popular for the consumer product?
2.The encoder is make of two part.The first is DCT part.The last is the bitstream part.Is Asics popular for the DCT part or DSP?and the bitstream part?
3.Can MDCT and DCT be reused in decoder in the same hardware and how?
4.Is there any algorithm based on mp3 bitstream searching popular?binary searching or?
Is there any paper based on 3?

By the way,why Asic solution is different ?Thanks for answering.

Lame is VERY popular.. Especially with linux users.. That is where I heard about it from. I have never heard of the other encoder/decoder.. But I believe you will be a lot more support for lame as it is widely used

DCT/IDCT transform can reuse almost all hardware
component.search in IEEE site,and u will find a lot of
papers about this algorithm.
BR
aormon

It seems that there is no mp3 encoder project on opencores.org
or which is its project name?

Hi boeysue,
As far as I know from opening different MP3 players and looking at them like a crazy engineer that I am. M<ost of them use their own ICs, which means they are ASICs.

A lot of companies from China and HK, use a MP3 decoder device from a HK based company (unfortunately I lost the link to them after my HD crash), that is pretty cheap, I believe their device can be purchased for less than $2 in 10k quantities.

But is that what you want to do? Making ASIC needs at least a 100-999k US$ investment. IF it is a university program, then you can make an interesting design almost for free.

Anyway, there are a lot of ICs available at the moment that makes MP3 encoding/decoding pretty simple. If you are looking for a simple HW design for yourself, you can take a look at Micronas MP3 devices (google it and you find a lot). Or SGS Thompsons MP3 device (much more popular these days).

Both of these devices can handle MP3 streams in I2S format. And with a small microcontroller you can have your own MP3 player like the one made by Yammp (or Yampp, I always mix them).

But, if you want to make a MP3 player with FPGA, that is a whole another story. There are some MP3 cores available on the market but they are not free and not so easy to use. And writing one is a very time consuming challenge, but really really fun. I wish I had time to work on such project, becuase you will learn a lot about FPGAs and MPEG compression.

Just my 2C,
BR,
/Farhad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back