Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to do 2D modelling in HFSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fed_zed

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Is there a way to model two dimensional objects in HFSS. That is creating a 2 dimensional sheet, (that would represent a cross-section of a 3D object for example), then assigning the material for that and then running a simulation for the electric fields over that sheet?
Or is it the case of 3D modelling only?
Thank you.

Re: 2D modelling in HFSS

As far as I know, 2D surfaces can be applied sources or boundary conditions only. HFSS allows materials to be assigned only to 3D objects.

edit: can you be more specific about your problem? if the surface is metallic you can apply suitable boundary conditions or you can make infinitesimal thickness 3D objects. If your surface is dielectric, maybe you can truncate a 3D dielectric with perfectly matched layers (PML)...

fed_zed

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
2D modelling in HFSS

lets say i have a pipe buried underground and i would like to illuminate only a cross-section of the model. if i model it as a 3D the extremeties of the pipe will add some scattering, which i want to avoid, since the real life model is a full length pipe. Plus simulating a 3D model will require lots of processing power and time.

Hi, in HFSS you can place a cordinated system anywhere, and export the cut of the plane XY to a 2D model and import it in maxwell 2D extractor and perform your simulation. hope this helps

fed_zed

you can apply periodic boundary conditions (master/slave boundaries) and apply phase matching...

fed_zed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back