Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to distinguish PCB materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nguyennam

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
types of pcb materials

Hi all,
I always heard about FR-4 as a PCB materials.

However, practically, I have seen 3 types of PCB materials, with different features:
1. Brown, 1-side, easy to bend. I see in China-made toy boards, radio-TV board.
2. Greenish, 1- or 2-side, harder. I saw in computer boards.
3. White and thick, 1-side, very hard. I saw in power supply, as in PSU from computers.

Anyone can explain what are theys and how they are different from each other?

Thank you very much.
nguyennam

The brown board is probably a material called phenonlic -- it's an older PCB material, and not used very often these days, since it is quite inferior to FR4. FR4 is the "standard" PCB material, and is an epoxy-glass composite material. Chances are, your green PCBs are FR4.
I'm not sure about the third one...

The first one you said is paper phenolic material. It is used in consumer boards like you said TV, audio systems, toys etc... where they need cheaper boards and less complicated circuits. they are mostly S/S boards.

the second ones are mostly FR4, but now a lot of types available.

The third one you mentioned, even I am not sure.

May be you can google over the net to find more types of materials.

See the link below for the info & pics for FR1, FR4 & CEM.

**broken link removed**

Thank you all very much for your attentions and help. I now understand something.

Dindeds, I cannot open the link you give, can you recheck it? Thank you very much.

nguyennam

It now works for me finally, thank you very much for helps, that is really what I would like to know.

nguyenam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back