Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to disable the grub to uninstall Linux from a partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafaiz

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hie,

i have installed linux as another OS in a different partition and i want to uninstall it now.

The problem was that how to disable the grub at the beginning of turning on the computer. If i dont disable it and continue with uninstallation, i heard that i might not be able to log in to windows again. Does anyone have experienced this before and have found the solutions? I'm new to linux.
Thanks.

regards,
nafaiz

Re: uninstall linux

You can boot the computer into ms-dos and run:
fdisk /mbr

uninstall linux

If you are using windows XP you need to use fixmbr command instead of fdisk /mdr.

Once you are done with this activity reboot your computer and ensure that you don't get grub menu again but it should directly boot into windows. If everything goes fine you can delete linux partitions safely.

nafaiz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
uninstall linux

dipal_z's option works best if you got XP running as the other OS. but Why would you want to uninstall linux?? :'(

Anno said:
dipal_z's option works best if you got XP running as the other OS. but Why would you want to uninstall linux?? :'(

rite now i'm short of ram and hard disk. 2 OS makes things worst. that's why i need to uninstall at least one. my work use windows more. that's why i have to uninstall linux.

Added after 4 minutes:

dipal_z said:
If you are using windows XP you need to use fixmbr command instead of fdisk /mdr.

Once you are done with this activity reboot your computer and ensure that you don't get grub menu again but it should directly boot into windows. If everything goes fine you can delete linux partitions safely.

sorry if this question is silly. i'm not familiar with the command. how do i actually use this fixmbr command? i'm not that good when it comes to dos.

uninstall linux

use your backup cd, boot to dos, at prompt, type: fdisk/mbr, doing this way, you grub boot loader is removed, but your linux is stlill there ,when you want it again,, then use your linux cd to reinstll the grub,

nafaiz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

stevenlee said:
use your backup cd, boot to dos, at prompt, type: fdisk/mbr, doing this way, you grub boot loader is removed, but your linux is stlill there ,when you want it again,, then use your linux cd to reinstll the grub,

ic...now i can proceed uninstalling it....thanks everybody

If you want to revert back to win XP,
insert your XP boot disk and boot from cdrom , go into recovery mode , you will need your administrator password,

when you're logged in just type

C:>fixmbr

uninstall linux

boot up in DOS and try fdisk

Are you using a boot manager from master boot record ?

If you are having boot manager on another active partition just setting the partition containing the 2nd OS will make things right.

uninstall linux

You can boot the computer into ms-dos and run:
fdisk /mbr and delete the linux parts by using some harddisk tool

Boot into DOS from a startup disk.

run fdisk from the command prompt.

do two things here :

1. set the windows partition as the active partition.
2. delete the linux partitions and reformat them to FAT or NTFS
(so that you can reclaim the disk space)

uninstall linux

I think you should format the linux partition and reinstall windows.

Best Way is to use boot manager which comes Drive parttioning software(Partition Magic or Paragon Partition manager).
It is very easy to use.
Solves all ur booting problems,surely.
Give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.