Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to develop a monitor in embedded system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flylionking

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
a monitor:
it can monitor hardware activity, can load/flash firmware, can execute simple commands(read/write memory, debug printf.etc.)

pls provide information about this to me.
Thanks in advance.

I can't study forth.
It's unpractical.
I want to know how to develop it personally.

There are several Open monitors for the 51 .. just browse the net ,I think if you study one of them ,you could modify it to suit your needs .
https://www.pjrc.com/tech/8051/paulmon2.html
**broken link removed**
Search the net man ..there is a lot of this stuff

flylionking said:
I can't study forth.
It's unpractical.

Do you want to develop Forth yourself without studying? 8O
I think it is much more practical to study and use existing implementations rather then try to re-invent the wheel.

eltonjohn, thank you!
OK. What key words do I search?

akouz said:
flylionking said:
I can't study forth.
It's unpractical.

Do you want to develop Forth yourself without studying? 8O
I think it is much more practical to study and use existing implementations rather then try to re-invent the wheel.

Study forth, it needs more energy and money, time.
Otherwise, I don't know how much forth can help me.

The 8051 is one of the oldest micros .so chances are that you will find more of developed stuff ..so do "

Monitor 8051

For 32 bit CPUs look Micromonitor by Mr. Ed Sutter:
**broken link removed**

MicroMonitor is an embedded system boot platform centered around an extensible embedded flash file system called TFS. With TFS in the monitor, things like XMODEM and TFTP (also in the monitor) can now refer to files instead of address space. The whole boot-up strategy is driven by the content of one or more files that can be scripts or executable images. The file system is accessible at the command line and through an API accessible by the application. The API provides a flexible means of reading and writing files in flash, plus the TFS implementation provides power-safe runtime defragmentation as the flash fills up. A network-accessible, MicroMonitor-based embedded system provides a firmware development project with immediate network boot (DHCP/BOOTP), file based maintainability, in-field upgrade and in-system diagnostics. The firmware assumes a CPU with linear address
space and is not suitable for a microcontroller simply because of the large feature set.

Mr. Sutter offers his sources under Lucent's Open License. Micromonitor supports many CPU architectures, including all of the Cogent Computer Development Boards. The sources build with GNU X-Tools on Windows and Linux host platforms.

Thanks, dainis.
I am reading Ed Sutter's book "firmware demystified".
His Micromonitor is OS independency.
If use RTOS, is it easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back