Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to determine Residual Capacity of Lithium Ion battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakeshm55

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
in one of my application i need to determine the residual capacity of the battery (3.7V lithium ion mobile battery 3000mAh). As of now i am feeding the battery output to internal ADC of MSP430 uC ,Which is not considered as an accurate means of determining!!
What are the other techniques available??
Which technique does mobile batteries use.??
I am using a mobile battery with 3 pins the third being the BSI. Does that provide the requisite data??

Please help...

I came across some articles suggesting that BSI(3rd pin of battery) pin usually connects a thermistor to negative terminal of battery . In my case the impedance between BSI and GND is 120Kohms.

How can I determine if the Li ion battery has a controller chip inside??

My specific issue is that I am not online charging the batteries our application calls in for charging the battery at a separate charging station.
So when the fully charged or partially charged battery is placed on to our system system should be capable of judging the battery charge capacity.

I am no idea of battery gauge chipsets . Is it mandatory to charge the battery online for these gauge chips to determine residual capacity??

If the gauge chip is implemented inside the lithium Ion then things are much simpler . but I am not able to confirm.
Battery I am using is of
NOKIA E61i

Status
Not open for further replies.