Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to determine if the equation is a periodic signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky_tm

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
(2What are periodic signals? How to determine if the equation is a periodic signal?

Find the fundamental period:
i) x[n] = sin(2n)
ii) x(t) = cos³(4t)
iii) \[x(t) = 1 + \sin^2(2 \pi t)\]

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: Periodic Signals

Periodic signals are signals that repeat of after a fixed time.

for example sin(x) is periodic with period 2*pi.

to prove a signal is periodic, you need to show

that f(x) = f(x+T) for some T for all x.

sin(x) = sin(x+2*pi) so let T = 2*pi .
this proves sin(x) is periodic.

x[n] is probably not periodic. why ?

I'll let you work out your own hw problems. good luck.

Note that

For a discrete-time signal to be periodic it has to satisfy
\[x[n+N]=x[n]\] where \[N\] is the fundamental period and the condition on it is that it should be an integer.

For a continuous-time signal to be periodic it has to satify
\[x(t+T)=x(t)\] where \[T\] is the fundamental period and there is no restriction on this as in the case of DT signal.

Coming to the given problems

(i) The given signal is \[x[n]=\sin(2n)\]. For it to be periodic it has to satisfy the following equation \[\sin(2n)=\sin(2n+2N)\] for integer values of \[N\]. Note that no value of \[N\] will satisfy the equation. Thus it is aperiodic.

(ii) The given signal is \[x(t)=\cos^3(4t)\]. First let us simplify it in to the form \[x(t)=\frac{1}{4}(\cos(3t)+3\cos(t))\]. So for this to be periodic it has to satisfy the following equation.\[x(t+T)=x(t)\]

Thus \[\cos(3t)\] is periodic with period \[T_1 = 2\frac{\pi}{3}\] and \[\cos(t)\] is periodic with period \[T_2 = 2\pi\]. Thus total period of the signal is (T = LCM(\[2\frac{\pi}{3},2\pi)\]. This turns out to be
\[T = 2\pi\]

(iii) The given signal is \[x(t)=1+\sin^2 (2\pi t)\]. This can be written as \[x(t)=\frac{3}{2}-\frac{1}{1}\cos(4\pi t)\]. The period of \[\cos(4\pi t) \] is \[T_1 = \frac{1}{2}\]. Thus total period is \[T = \frac{1}{2}\].

Hope all this will help you.

thnx

purna!

Conclusion:

i) period is \[\frac{1}{\pi }\] , therefore it is aperiodic

ii) period is \[\frac{\pi }{2}\]

iii) period is \[\frac{1}{2}\]

Status
Not open for further replies.