Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to detect a plug is connected to socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdxcool

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a plug and socket. Before I turn on power supply from a contactor, I need to detect if the plug is connected to the socket via a microcontroller. Any ideas on how to do this ?

The Plug I am using is

KM 091-73-CON-3P-2T.jpg

The socket I am using is:

KM 091-159-30-120-2.jpg

All the four pins of both socket and plug are connected to neutral, ground and (120v) ac lines.

The issue is that all the four pins of both socket and plug are connected to neutral, ground and (120v) ac lines. Please see the pictures posted above. So, there are no other pins left to use. I was thinking of using a magnet near the socket and a hall sensor stuffed (Not a safe idea I guess) somewhere near the plug. Any better ideas ?

I have a plug and socket. Before I turn on power supply from a contactor, I need to detect if the plug is connected to the socket via a microcontroller. Any ideas on how to do this ?

The Plug I am using is

View attachment 116192

The socket I am using is:

View attachment 116193

All the four pins of both socket and plug are connected to neutral, ground and (120v) ac lines.

The issue is that all the four pins of both socket and plug are connected to neutral, ground and (120v) ac lines. Please see the pictures posted above. So, there are no other pins left to use. I was thinking of using a magnet near the socket and a hall sensor stuffed (Not a safe idea I guess) somewhere near the plug. Any better ideas ?

You cant detect the presence of mains or ground as a way of proving the connection is there?

I count 3 pins being used
Yes. And bobdxcool would have a hard time to fit the blue 4 pin connector with the yellow 3 pin panel mounted inlet. :)

I believe that's just a wrong photo. Also the terms plug and socket are apparently mixed up.

There's no provision for pilot contacts in the pinout of standard CEE connectors below 63 A. Special versions of wall mounted receptacles with built-in pilot switch are available from some manufacturers.

What do you want to achieve? Do you want to power the wall mounted inlet (yellow part)? That would be in fact against all safety rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.