Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to detect a natural oar using microwave technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahidE636

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello frnds!

may be this would be astonishign to you. i want to do a project on mining. i am a student of electronics and telecom (M.Engg). and i want to detect some metal mine under this earth . some type of metal say Uranium.
is there any technique to do this. i want to send a microwave then sensing it back would result some data abstraction.

CAn it is possible?

microwave is not neccessary may be some other type but should be wireless mean mine could be detected from remote area. (surely to limit in meters or km)

if nothing then please leave an idea of this type!

karesz

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Im not a professional of mining & remote sensing, but if we see what kind of problems has "landmine sensing" in "only" 20-40 cm deepness = I dont belief that its possible...
K.

davenn

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm not aware of it being done with microwaves
( Seismology and Volcanology are my chosen fields)
It does get done optically by detecting spectral absorption of the trace elements
of the various ores present on the surface of the ground.

element identification can of course be done in the lab using X-rays, once again
by either absorption or diffraction techniques but you cant use X-rays in the field!!

have you done any google searching on "mineral detection by microwave spectral
absorption " ????

it would be the best place to start :)

Dave
VK2TDN
BSc Geology

shahidE636

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

biff44

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
the trouble is that microwav energy gets attenuated quickly as it travels thru soil. I gets reflected by any water it encounters. And conductive metals, even if close to the surface, will all reflect the same way, without any differentiation. So there is no specific "signature" that uranium will give off.

That said, maybe there is a way. Are you willing to drill bore holes into the ground to send down sensing gear?

mfding

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
you will probably need very low frequencies (below 300KHz) and two (resonated) coils and figure out the phase difference between the trammitted and received siganl (due to eddy current) and the particular phase difference may give you a clue of what metal it is.

karesz

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
All things-ideas are good, but uran is usually deeper to find as 500...700 meter underground:-(...
K.

shahidE636

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

shahidE636

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
biff44 said:
the trouble is that microwav energy gets attenuated quickly as it travels thru soil. I gets reflected by any water it encounters. And conductive metals, even if close to the surface, will all reflect the same way, without any differentiation. So there is no specific "signature" that uranium will give off.

That said, maybe there is a way. Are you willing to drill bore holes into the ground to send down sensing gear?

No. not willing bcaz it illegal for searching of uranuim without Energy Department Permission and i am just for my final project. Ofcourse i m under the Department but cant get permissions to do that.

Added after 1 minutes:

mfding said:
you will probably need very low frequencies (below 300KHz) and two (resonated) coils and figure out the phase difference between the trammitted and received siganl (due to eddy current) and the particular phase difference may give you a clue of what metal it is.

Thx for this good idea!
but "Is Uranium gives any spectral response to EM waves. ???" if you have any document about it then plz send it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor