Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to desolder a potentiometer with solder in both board faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johanx2

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, few minutes ago, I tried to desolder a potentiometer of a double layer circuit board, I found that some pins are soldered in the surface, and I can not access that area because the potentiometer body are hidden them. So I only could use a copper mesh to remove the solder of the pins in one side of the board.

How should one do in this case to desolder the hidden pins? I simply should use a sucking desoldering pump expecting to get the solder that is located in the other side? will that solder pass through the pin and hole if sucked it?

Attachments

• ghgh.jpg
    ghgh.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 122

A good desolder pump can probably do the job. Hot air desoldering (heat from the bottom side, pulling the part from the bottom) is often the more gentle method. Or a solder tweezer with wide tips that can heat three pins in line at once.

I did it with a desoldering pump, but I did a dirty and difficult job, somebody told me to put an excess of solder that covers all pins, so now with all the pins hot at the time, all I need is to pull the piece and remove it once the solder is still very hot, I hope I knew this before doing anything, will do it next time since I think its wonderful idea.

somebody told me to put an excess of solder that covers all pins, so now with all the pins hot at the time, all I need is to pull the piece and remove it once the solder is still very hot
This might work if pins aren't too far apart, or you have a sufficient large solder tip. Hot air is a more general approach to achieve the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back