Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design step-up/step-down DC-DC Converter (2V to 100V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bctang

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DC-DC Converters

Hi,

How to design step-up/step-down converter accepts 2Volt to 100Volt inputs?

I need to design Step-Up/Step-Down DC-DC Converts 2Volt to 100Volt input to a 12V output at up 2A. The output voltage can always maintain 12Volt. :cry:

Thank You

Re: DC-DC Converters

8) A very complex requirement.
very difficult in standard buckboost topology, try cascading differant converters with switching logic to switch a single dc dc converter depending on the input voltage..
:? A costly proposition..

Hi, rauol

First i need to say thank you for your suggest.

i known this is very difficult, because i am doing my project Design Micro Hydro System. My voltage from generator is variable it can generate up to ~70Volt. So that i need to step-down my voltage to charge my battery 12Volt. if the generator is runing at low rpm the generator generate low voltage about 2~11Volt. the my dc-dc converter need to boost up to 12Volt.

Can u try to explain more detail about the design because i need the low cost design?

Thank You.

bctang said:
Hi,

I need to design Step-Up/Step-Down DC-DC Converts 2Volt to 100Volt input to a 12V output at up 2A. The output voltage can always maintain 12Volt. :cry:

Thank You

I do not think there is choice for you but to use switch mode power supply design.

djalli said:
bctang said:
Hi,

Thank You

I do not think there is choice for you but to use switch mode power supply design.

Do you have any idea for this "switch mode power supply design" ?

rauol said:
8) A very complex requirement.
very difficult in standard buckboost topology, try cascading differant converters with switching logic to switch a single dc dc converter depending on the input voltage..
:? A costly proposition..

i have found out from internet:
"http://korea.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/227"

but this design is no functioning because i already testing. if increased input Vin to 4.35V. DMM at point 8 dropped to 1.69V, IC MAX761 getting hot.

zkai2000 said:
bctang said:
djalli said:
bctang said:
Hi,

Thank You

Do you have any idea for this "switch mode power supply design" ?/quote]

Im agreed with djalli..try using switch mode power supply. :)

Do you have any idea how to design "switch mode power supply design". Pleas help me.... :cry:

8) Do u really require 2 volt minimum input. can your micro generator supply around 15 Amp at 2 volt. a realistic one would be from 15 to 100 volts

rauol said:
8) Do u really require 2 volt minimum input. can your micro generator supply around 15 Amp at 2 volt. a realistic one would be from 15 to 100 volts

I am using "Permanent Magnet DC Motor" as my dc generator because my project just a demo unit. So that, i need the generator generate the voltage at low RPM. My generator generate the voltage is depend the turbine spin.

My generator can produce very high voltage but the current i no think so can produce until 2Amp. Because i think this is depant the load.

So, i need to control the voltage to fix and always maintain to 12Volt to charge my battery. I am using "Lead Acid Battery" 12Volt. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.