Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design Meander line antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Element7k

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
meander antenna

Hi all,

I will like to know the basics of designing a meander line antenna. What I will also like to know is how Skycross seem to be able to use this design technique to control the radiation patterns and obtain a broadband/dualabnd antenna with acceptable gain . I am wondering how this is achieved. Anyone out there who know how this is done. Any information will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Element7k

meander line antenna

Hi,

I usually scan the ready antenna (from PCB or paper) , then import it to CorelDraw and draw over it.

Then export the drawn picture to ORCAD MAX file. Works great.

But if you have to calculate the dimensions and the shapes.. I have no idea. For sure, something that's already made like PCB is easy to be reproduced in COrelDraw with extreme precision. For example I succeded to reproduce the PCB from calliper.

So, there are two problems:
- how to create the original curve (to calculate it)
- how to implement this curve into some PCB design program

Regards
Luben

meander antenna design

Dear luben111,

Thank you for you reply. Very much appreciated but perhaps I was vague in stating what I was asking. What I am interested to know is how do I design meander line antennas from scratch. E.g for resonance at a certain frequency band and what are the techniques for obtaining broadband. I am using Microwave Studio and IE3D for simulation so I will have no problems with PCB geometry creation. Anyway, I think most of these meander lines are printed on Mylar or a substrate material so PCB is not too much of a problem here. Geometry can be exported out of the electromagnetic simulator to AutoCAD easily using DXF.

Cheers,
Element7k
luben111 said:
Hi,

I usually scan the ready antenna (from PCB or paper) , then import it to CorelDraw and draw over it.

Then export the drawn picture to ORCAD MAX file. Works great.
Luben

meandering antenna

hello.....

may i know how do you design the meander line antenna?what software u are used

resonant frequency of meander line antennas.

to design meander line antenna .. u follow the book of

microstrip antennas by ...
ramesh garg .
There u will find the design equation .. And there is also some paper hints ..

BUT why are u want to design it . It is fr practical purpose or only interest based ..
Because meander line antenna are very inefficient . In only radiates at the transmission line edges..

And fr designing purpose IE3D will be the best .. I have done it ..

meander line antennas

i am now try to design monopole meander line antenna
but the efficiency is to worse. FREQ that i used for 915MHz
i donno when i done the the simulation the freq not achieve the target freq.
i design for practical purpose.
hope u can help me in order u already done the design meander line antenna.

regards,
kyg

meander line antenna design

hi
you can achieve required freq by adjusting antennas size, or your matching circuit is not perfect. u can try to modify ant structure.
maybe following paper is helpful to you design.

Tsutomu Endo, Yonehiko Sunahara, Shinichi Satoh, and Takashi Katagi, “Resonant Frequency and Radiation Efficiency of Meander Line Antennas”, Electronics and Communications in Japan, Vol. 83, pp. 51-58, 2000.

sorry,i don't know how to upload this paper. but u can download from http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/browse/?type=JOURNAL

antenna meander

meander line antenna that i have design have
limitation size, so i can increase the size?
make it more turn or what?

gain of meander line antennas

Its' actually a reverse process . Generally microstrip Line is useful for ckt designing not for antenna because it can conserve the power in cavity .. bt if u bend a microstrip line in 90 deg ..the wave can't propagate . It will radiate the power so that it will work as an antenna .

It is used beacause for antennas the subs requirement is reverse of microwave ckt .so producing two different types of subs in same board is not a cost effective option ..

So they will use meander line antenna so that they don't have to go for diffrent subs ..

Nut keep in mind that the efficiency is very less for this antenna ..

Added after 1 minutes:

mainak001 said:
Enquiry: Re: Meander line antenna
hi, my final year project is about meander line slot antenna. if u know why they invented meander line antenna.can u let me know?just want to know the history of it. and what the differences between MLA and other types of WLAN antenna?
hope u can help me
Its' actually a reverse process . Generally microstrip Line is useful for ckt designing not for antenna because it can conserve the power in cavity .. bt if u bend a microstrip line in 90 deg ..the wave can't propagate . It will radiate the power so that it will work as an antenna .

It is used beacause for antennas the subs requirement is reverse of microwave ckt .so producing two different types of subs in same board is not a cost effective option ..

So they will use meander line antenna so that they don't have to go for diffrent subs ..

Nut keep in mind that the efficiency is very less for this antenna ..

Added after 1 minutes:

amu811 said:
hi
you can achieve required freq by adjusting antennas size, or your matching circuit is not perfect. u can try to modify ant structure.
maybe following paper is helpful to you design.

Tsutomu Endo, Yonehiko Sunahara, Shinichi Satoh, and Takashi Katagi, “Resonant Frequency and Radiation Efficiency of Meander Line Antennas”, Electronics and Communications in Japan, Vol. 83, pp. 51-58, 2000.

sorry,i don't know how to upload this paper. but u can download from http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/browse/?type=JOURNAL

Bt the paper is not for free .. can u plz upload it here ?

Go to write a reply .. there u wull find upload option(down).....

how do meanders increase in size?

dear mainak001,
thanks for the reply. i wonder how we can know the efficiency of the MLA? can u recommend any journal that states the history of MLA and its limitation?

:?:

meander-line slot

hii guys,
i have designed a meander line antenna but i dont know how they calculated the width ,length and no of turns......
i want to know whether there are any standard design equations for calculating the width ,length and no of turns...
check out the papers which i uploaded

Reactions: amirabbas

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

amirabbas

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi all,
I am trying to simulate Meander line antenna on HFSS for 435 MHz frequency. I am new to HFSS software. I use HFSS antenna design kit to simulate other antennae but Meander line is not there in that kit. So I have to create in HFSS. I have calculated dimensions for it using Linecalc in ADS 2009. Can any one help me to implement this antenna and its matching network in HFSS.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back