Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to design asynchronous read and write register

Status
Not open for further replies.

floatgrass

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, all
I want to different clock domain to read and write register file.How do I deal with the metastablility problem?

thanks!

I guess you can double clock the control signals used for read/write which will avoid the metastability problem.

Hi,

You can write and read from a memory with to avoid metastability condition as follows

write_clk <= CLK;
read_clk <= NOT write_clk;

thanks for all reply.

my application is
cpu write and read data of configuration register at some clock frequency, but hardware engine use these configuration data as input signals.

1 double clock for control signals, these control signals including write and read enable ,not including address, data bus?

2 memory scheme is good choice,but my write signal has address bus,but read register not need address, I just want to connect these registers data to my hardware as input signals.

3 fifo scheme is not use for this case because it can not provide random access.

Maybe handshake is better for your design, you write data with one clock and rise a flag to indicate the data is ready to read, the read signal read data with the synced flag. and vise versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back