Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design and which program to use for PIC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadeye

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PIC novice

hi all,

its my first time to use PIC for a hobby,in short i am a novice here.

anyone can teach me how to design,which program to use,and which model of PIC should i use.

thanks a lot.:D

Re: PIC novice

Well, you can always start developing a running light project using a PIC16F628. IMHO, it's the best project for a beginner.
You can start searching EDABOARD for e-books on PIC project. Try it, it's worthwhile!

PIC novice

You will need a programmer. I recommend a David Tait Variety to start with because they are simple to build. Some people prefer a JDM programmer. If you know little about electronics you may try to buy one.

If you build, you need software for your programmer. You can use David Tait's software if you use his programmers. Or, if you want more updated software and some support, you can try IC Prog or WinPic800.

You need an assembler or compiler. There are several free varieties. I recommend using MPLAB from Microchip and programming in assembly to start with. There are free Basic and free C compilers available that I've heard of (with memory limitations). Perhaps someone else on the board recalls the names.

There are tutorials for using assembly programming on the internet or you can buy a book. www.piclist.com has several code segments, etc. They also have information for getting started.

My first project was the blinking light on a PIC16F84. You will find this project on the internet. Often, people add a push button to toggle "blink" or "not blink" to practice reading ports, etc.

-jonathan

Well, you can always start developing a running light project using a PIC16F628. IMHO, it's the best project for a beginner.
You can start searching EDABOARD for e-books on PIC project. Try it, it's worthwhile!

Another option, and very tempting one, is to start with PICAXE - this is PIC microcntroller with BASIC interpreter ..
To program it you don't need any special programmer - just standard serial port and two resistors ..
All data sheets, software and examples can be downloaded for free from:
**broken link removed**
Also, seach this forum for PICAXE and you will find some very interesting examples of applications based on PICAXE microcontrollers ..

Regards,
IanP

IanP,

thanks,i wanted to make my first project that has a sensor and a motor.do you have any idea?

jon,

thanks also,i only know assembly and C, how can i upload it if i uses C or higher version.

thanks

As I mentioned before, all materials are readily available in the web ..
Here:
https://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/picaxe_manual3.pdf
you will find examples of microcontroller interfacing circuits and all this info will be valid for other microcontrollers, not only PICAXE family ..

Regards,
IanP

hi there,
i think jonw0224 is refering to mikrobasic and mikroC from mikroelektronika..
personally, im learning PICBasic. A compiler. more user friendly from how i c it. why not use technology when u can? :) u just need it to convert the program to hex file. then u need to burn it into a chip.
im using Epic. love it. but if u r using a limited range of pic (16f877a, 876, 84a, 628a, 648a etc), then JDM would be good enough. and u don need external power. u can even icsp. and its simple. the software for the programmer (burner) is icprog and winpic(not sure). u can even learn some basic electronic assembly too :p
there are many sources n code samples for picbasic. do some searching :) and 628a is a good chip to start with. good luck. can slowly move up 648a and 877a. for more i/o ports. move to 18F series for more bang. for the time being, 16F series is more than enough. trust me (been there.hahaha) :p HAPPY LEARNING :) n gud luck

thank you very much gentlemen..this would help me more.

God bless

Log on to www.mikroe.com site.

They have books, tutorials, programmers, compilers and starter- kits.
Its the best place for starters and advanced users alike.

bimbla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back