Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design an IR remote control without a PIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuichi77

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. I need help about an IR remote control that can manipulate 3 light bulbs (typically 12v).

I thought of a remote control with 9 buttons that would transmit 9 different frequencies than will be received by a frequency decoder (??).

buttons:
1-red bulb (on/off)
2-green bulb (on/off)
3-blue bulb (on/off)
4-red bulb (increase intensity)
5-green bulb (increase intensity)
6-blue bulb (increase intensity)
7-red bulb (decrease intensity)
8-green bulb (decrease intensity)
9-blue bulb (decrease intensity)

I thought of using 555 timer in the transmitter to produce 9 different frequencies... the output of the 555 timer is connected to an IR LED to be transmitted.

I want to ask what IC can be used to detect a unique IR frequency that would trigger the certain operation indicated by the button numbers above.

I also want to know what circuit should I use to change the intensity of the light bulbs using remote control.

Please help me. I appreciate your reply. Thanks.

ir remote control

it is job for MCU not for single IC.

ir remote control using 555 timer

Is there any way that I won't use microcontroller in doing this project?

Re: IR Remote control

Yes, there is. You can use a DTMF encoder at the transmitter side and, a DTMF decoder at the receiver side.
Now, you have not only the 9 freqiencies you need but also 6 extra frequencies for future improvements.

Take a look at the below link:
https://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/RemoteControl/DTMFin_IntroToDTMF.html

I hope you find it useful.
Good Luck

Re: ir remote

Ryuichi77 said:
Hello. I need help about an IR remote control that can manipulate 3 light bulbs (typically 12v).

I thought of a remote control with 9 buttons that would transmit 9 different frequencies than will be received by a frequency decoder (??).

buttons:
1-red bulb (on/off)
2-green bulb (on/off)
3-blue bulb (on/off)
4-red bulb (increase intensity)
5-green bulb (increase intensity)
6-blue bulb (increase intensity)
7-red bulb (decrease intensity)
8-green bulb (decrease intensity)
9-blue bulb (decrease intensity)

I thought of using 555 timer in the transmitter to produce 9 different frequencies... the output of the 555 timer is connected to an IR LED to be transmitted.

I want to ask what IC can be used to detect a unique IR frequency that would trigger the certain operation indicated by the button numbers above.

I also want to know what circuit should I use to change the intensity of the light bulbs using remote control.

Please help me. I appreciate your reply. Thanks.

use this

seadolphine2000 said:

Yes, there is. You can use a DTMF encoder at the transmitter side and, a DTMF decoder at the receiver side.
Now, you have not only the 9 freqiencies you need but also 6 extra frequencies for future improvements.

Take a look at the below link:
https://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/RemoteControl/DTMFin_IntroToDTMF.html

I hope you find it useful.
Good Luck

how to design an IR remote control without a PIC?

by the way i need it to be multichannel.

thanks

IR Remote control

Without the use of any microcontroller, it is very difficult to decode and utilise IR code to do the required tasks for a multichannel remote. The circuit becomes quite big with its complexity too. Cheers

IR Remote control

i do not care about the circuit complexity, no problem if it is too big, my problem is where i can find such a circuit? this is to my students as a final year project and i have no enough time for them. :)

You may consider buying this book with the project "Remote controlled switch board" without using any microcontrollers. The said project was designed with Tone encoder and decoders using IR transmission. I am a regular reader of the magazine but as the said comiplation belongs to the year 1998, i am not finding the book with me. The said project book is available thru the given link. Cheers
https://www.kitsnspares.com/user/showcircuit.asp?id=508

IR Remote control

i can not press the helped me button because i am not the author of this topic so that i just say thank you too much pranam77

You may use the encode decoder pair HT12E and HT12D.

matbob said:
You may use the encode decoder pair HT12E and HT12D.
The HT12E is only used with RF remotes. For IR remote controlling HT12A may be used. Cheers

mukul_pande2002 said:
is it possible to make a universal ir mimic using 89c51
Yes...it is possible. You'll have to write a dedicated code for that. You may use better version of chip like 89S52..Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back