Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to design an inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

love_electronic

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i want to desing an inductor of 1mH,1A.

My AC voltage is 220v(50Hz) and i have step-down transformer connected with it, after that i have bridge rectifier to convert into DC.In the DC voltage there are ripples and i want to use inductor to filter these ripples.

Can Someone tell me how to desing an inductor or how to calculate the parameters for designing inductor.I have different sizes of ferrite cores but i dont know about from which material they are made up of.

Kindly guide me in the desinging.

You mentioned the primary voltage and operating frequency of your transformer. What is the secondary voltage and current? These parameters are important to design an Inductor.

I have never seen a mains PSU smoothing choke using a ferrite core. They do not have a high enough permeability. Also smoothing chokes normally have an air gap to stop them becoming saturated with the DC current.
Frank

This sort of inductor must be able to carry DC, so you need a core with an air gap. Using a core made of powdered iron provides a distributed air gap. This company is one such company that sells suitable cores, and they have application information on their site that will help you design an inductor:

https://www.micrometals.com/

I down loaded the Micrometals design tool and gave it :- 100 mH, 2A, < 10 ohms, 100HZ, it gave me 29 solutions, so I stand corrected. Least number of turns = T650-66 core, 616 turns, #11 wire, Rdc .7 ohms. 100 mH is very low but its a start!
Frank

I agree with Frank that using ferrite (with air gap) or iron powder inductors for 100 (or e.g. 1000 Hz) just makes no sense. It's a waste of money, weight and design space. Use regular laminated cores with air gap, if inductors are actually an appropriate filter means for your design.

Hi love_electronic !

I agree with FvM and chuckey regarding type of your core . for such a low frequency laminated iron cores would be more efficient ! ( cheaper of course )

For inductor and transformer design have a look through whole of this thread :
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/229615/

( read it from it's first page up to it's latest page )
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.