Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design a high directivity coupler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Needbias

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
high directivity stripline coupler

Does anyone know how to design a high directivity coupler such as wiggly line microstrip coupler,I need the formulas,Thank in advance!!!

wiggly lines directivity

If you want to design a coupler for instance with a broadside coupler or a coupled line (according to the coupling you desire) you have to take into account the different velocitu of odd mode and even mode. So if you want good directivity even with these structures you have to make equal the two velocity. Usually one can do this adding a capacitor at the beginning and at the end of the lines or even in the middle.
The equation are the same of the coupled lines
hoping this can help u
stefano

For lambda/4 microstrip couplers 25dB to 30dB directivity should be in reach with a little tuning.
Waveguide measurement couplers can have e.g. 50dB directivity. They need extensive tuning by hand.
Broadband couplers like in Vector-Network-Analyzers are good if they reach 15dB directivity.
Does it have to be a microsrip-coupler? What bandwith and directivity do you reach for?

Spasomat

It seems we can buy coupler that made by strip line technology,not
microstrip line.
What's the benefit ? lower loss & good directivity?

Spasomat said:
For lambda/4 microstrip couplers 25dB to 30dB directivity should be in reach with a little tuning.
Waveguide measurement couplers can have e.g. 50dB directivity. They need extensive tuning by hand.
Broadband couplers like in Vector-Network-Analyzers are good if they reach 15dB directivity.
Does it have to be a microsrip-coupler? What bandwith and directivity do you reach for?

Spasomat

how to tuning?I want use stripline coupler but I don't make sure that the directivity in stripline coupler maybe better than a wiggly line microstrip coupler,does this right?

molloy said:
If you want to design a coupler for instance with a broadside coupler or a coupled line (according to the coupling you desire) you have to take into account the different velocitu of odd mode and even mode. So if you want good directivity even with these structures you have to make equal the two velocity. Usually one can do this adding a capacitor at the beginning and at the end of the lines or even in the middle.
The equation are the same of the coupled lines
hoping this can help u
stefano

Thanks molly,for the reason of bandwidth,I don't want use capacitor to compensate the phase velocity.

Needbias said:
Does anyone know how to design a high directivity coupler such as wiggly line microstrip coupler,I need the formulas,Thank in advance!!!

there are some way to make it.

1) overlay coupler
2) if u r working nerow band , dont use 90 deg, use shorted one
3) put cap at the begin and the end of the coupler (u can put open stub)

good luck
elad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back