Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design a CMOS pll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdlijj2

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to design a CMOS pll, how to begin?
give me some advices, which software is better or which book to read

To be familiar with the PLL concepts try to read the chapter about the PLL in any of Razavi's book, Analog CMOS design or RF microelectronics.

Then try to do some system level simulations using matlab, for example. From which u should put the specs u want, according to the application u r targeting.

After that try to search for papers or books about each block and try to design each one. In ur circuit design try to use a good circuit simulator, like spectr or ADS or ... For me I am using spectre

Will u design it alone, and is it discrete or integrated ?

refer to roland e best or read some thesis already posted on this forum.that will give u a start for your work.

regards
amarnath

These BOOK---
Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuit
and
Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits
and
Phase-Locked Loops--principles and practice

is a suitable matter for you.

then can I download these books from this forum?
I wanna design a integrated cmos pll.
The first I should do is reading some books.

hi!

there is also a chapter dedicated to digital PLL's in CMOS circuit design, layout and simulation by Boyce, Baker and Li. to be precise the chapter number is 19. i think it will give you good idea about the design. he has also given good explanation about the various building blocks that can be used. anyway, if you need any help you can always refer back to me. i am designing one myself. :). i have a collection of thesis works on the same topic. if you need them i can send them to you anytime.

regards,
vijay

jdlijj2 said:
then can I download these books from this forum?
I wanna design a integrated cmos pll.
The first I should do is reading some books.

U can download them with points. But after u passed 14 days from ur registeration date, u will be able to download them freely.

amarnath said:
refer to roland e best or read some thesis already posted on this forum.that will give u a start for your work.

regards
amarnath

I think that the book of Best very focused on the mathematical concept for PLL, I know it's very important
So i support to start with book like Razavi then open ur mind Best
anyway Best is the Best :)

me too i think Razavi is the best as a starting

The book of Best can be the advanced study.

try this link
**broken link removed**

regards,..

Hi..

I designed a 2.4 GHz CMOS Frequency Synthesizer using PLL.

Besides the other books recommended here I can give you some advice:

First, define your output frequency (It is for RF?). Maybe you need a LC VCO. It is more difficult because of the inductor. If not you could try a ring oscillator. It is easy to design and to test but has more phase noise. There are a lot of circuits for PFD. Try one classical. And use charge pump.
If you are going to do a Frequency Synthesizer try firs a Integer-N architecture.

A lot of concepts, but I think these are the most important you could read in the books and papers specified here.

hi ,
analog cmos integrated circuit design
by behzad razavi is a good book for analog design.

hope it will help u

Hello:

You can sutdy the Tutirial.

Design of Monolithic Phase-Locked Loops and Clock Recovery Circuits - A Tutorial.

Behzard Razavi .

Anybody can help on simulation a behave level PLL? Thanks

U can go through books on PLL design
like PLL - Design, Simulation and Applications by best and correlate the info there to some of the designs and tutorials available online....
for example full flow on cadence spectre for PLL design is given on crete.cadence.com under analog tutorials....else contact me by PM...
plus there is a gpdk available there having all tool configuration for cadence analog artist tool....
Another good book is Cmos PLL synthesizers -analysis and Design by keliu shu and edgar sanchez-sinecio....

some info is available in behzad razavi- cmos analog design and again grey meyer.....also u can find lot of info at IEEE CIRCUITS site...

Here are some books and papers to read for pll design...

Monolithic Phase-Locked Loops and Clock Recovery Circuits : Theory and Design
Razavi, B.

Design of Monolithic Phase-Locked Loops and Clock Recovery Circuits\—A Tutorial (B. Razavi).

BASIC THEORY.

Theory of AFC Synchronization (W. Gruen).

Color-Carrier Reference Phase Synchronization Accuracy in NTSC Color Television (D. Richman).

Charge-Pump Phase-Locked Loops (F. Gardner).

z-Domain Model for Discrete-Time PLLs (J. Hein \& J. Scott).

Analyze PLLs with Discrete Time Modeling (J. Kovacs).

Properties of Frequency Difference Detectors (F. Gardner).

Frequency Detectors for PLL Acquisition in Timing and Carrier Recovery (D. Messerschmitt).

Analysis of Phase-Locked Timing Extraction Circuits for Pulse Code Transmission (E. Roza).

Optimization of Phase-Locked Loop Performance in Data Recovery Systems (R. Co \& J. Mulligan).

Noise Properties of PLL Systems (V. Kroupa).

PLL/DLL System Noise Analysis for Low Jitter Clock Synthesizer Design (B. Kim, et al.).

Practical Approach Augurs PLL Noise in RF Synthesizers (M. O''Leary).

The Effects of Noise in Oscillators (E. Hafner).

A Simple Model of Feedback Oscillator Noise Spectrum (D. Leeson).

Noise in Relaxation Oscillators (A. Abidi \& R. Meyer).

Analysis of Timing Jitter in CMOS Ring Oscillators (T. Weigandt, et al.).

Analysis, Modeling, and Simulation of Phase Noise in Monolithic Voltage-Controlled Oscillators (B. Razavi).

BUILDING BLOCKS.

Start-up and Frequency Stability in High-Frequency Oscillators (N. Nguyen \& R. Meyer).

MOS Oscillators with Multi-Decade Tuning Range and Gigahertz Maximum Speed (M. Banu).

A Bipolar 1 GHz Multi-Decade Monolithic Variable-Frequency Oscillator (J. Wu).

A Digital Phase and Frequency Sensitive Detector (J. Brown).

A 3-State Phase Detector Can Improve Your Next PLL Design (C. Sharpe).

GaAs Monolithic Phase/Frequency Discriminator (I. Shahriary, et al.).

A New Phase-Locked Loop Timing Recovery Method for Digital Regenerators (J. Bellisio).

A Phase-Locked Loop with Digital Frequency Comparator for Timing Signal Recovery (J. Afonso, et al.).

Clock Recovery from Random Binary Signals (J. Alexander).

A Si Bipolar Phase and Frequency Detector IC for Clock Extraction up to 8 Gb/s (A. Pottbacker, et al.).

A Self-Correcting Clock Recovery Circuit (C. Hogge).

MODELING AND SIMULATION.

An Integrated PLL Clock Generator for 275 MHz Graphic Displays (G. Gutierrez \& D. DeSimone).

The Macro Modeling of Phase-Locked Loopes for the SPICE Simulator (M. Sitkowski).

Modeling and Simulation of an Analog Charge Pump Phase-Locked Loop (S. Can \& Y. Sahinkaya).

Mixed-Mode Simulation of Phase-Locked Loops (B. Antao, et al.).

Behavioral Representation for VCO and Detectors in Phase-Lock Systems (E. Liu \& A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli).

Behavioral Simulation Techniques for Phase/Delay-Locked Systems (A. Demir, et al.).

PHASE-LOCKED LOOPS.

A Monolithic Phase-Locked Loop with Detection Processor (E. Murthi).

A 200-MHz CMOS Phase-Locked Loop with Dual Phase Detectors (K. Ware, et al.).

High-Frequency Phase-Locked Loops in Monolithic Bipolar Technology (M. Soyuer \& R. Meyer).

A 6-GHz Integrated Phase-Locked Loop Using AlGaAs/GaAs Heterojunction Bipolar Transistors (A. Buchwald, et al.).

A 6-GHz 60-mW BiCMOS Phase-Locked Loop with 2-V Supply (B. Razavi \& J. Sung).

Design of PLL-Based Clock Generation Circuits (D. Jeong).

A Variable Delay Line PLL for CPU-Coprocessor Synchronization (M. Johnson \& E. Hudson).

A PLL Clock Generator with 5 to 110 MHz of Lock Range for Microprocessors (I. Young, et al.).

A Wide-Bandwidth Low-Voltage PLL for PowerPC Microprocessors (J. Alvarez, et al.).

A 30-128 MHz Frequency Synthesizer Standard Cell (R. Bitting \& W. Repasky).

Cell-Based Fully Integrated CMOS Frequency Synthesizers (D. Mijuskovic, et al.).

Fully-Integrated CMOS Phase-Locked Loop with 15 to 240 MHz Locking Range and ý50 psec Jitter (I. Novof, et al.).

PLL Design for a 500 MB/s Interface (M. Horowitz, et al.).

CLOCK AND DATA RECOVERY CIRCUITS.

An Analog PLL-Based Clock and Data Recovery Circuit with High Input Jitter Tolerance (S. Sun).

A 30-MHz Hybrid Analog/Digital Clock Recovery Circuit in 2-\μm CMOS (B. Kim, et al.).

A BiCMOS PLL-Based Data Separator Circuit with High Stability and Accuracy (S. Miyazawa, et al.).

A Versatile Clock Recovery Architecture and Monlithic Implementation (L. De Vito).

A 155-MHz Clock Recovery Delay- and Phase-Locked Loop (T. Lee \& J. Bulzacchelli).

A Monolithic 156 Mb/s Clock and Data Recovery PLL Circuit using the Sample- and-Hold Technique (N. Ishihara \& Y. Akazawa).

A Monolithic 480 Mb/s Parallel AGC/Decision/Clock Recovery Circuit in 1.2-\μm CMOS (T. Hu \& P. Gray).

A Monolithic 622 Mb/sec Clock Extraction and Data Retiming Circuit (B. Lai \& R. Walker).

A 660 Mb/s CMOS Clock Recovery Circuit with Instantaneous Locking for NRZ Data and Burst-Mode Transmission (M. Banu \& A. Dunlop).

A Monolithic 2.3-Gb/s 100-mW Clock and Data Recovery Circuit in Silicon Bipolar Technology (M. Soyuer).

A 50 MHz Phase- and Frequency-Locked Loop (R. Cordell, et al.).

NMOS ICs for Clock and Data Regeneration in Gigabit-per-Second Optical-Fiber Receivers (S. Enam \& A. Abidi).

A PLL-Based 2.5-Gb/s Clock and Data Regenerator IC (H. Ransijn \& P. O''Connor).

A 2.5-Gb/sec 15-mW BiCMOS Clock Recovery Circuit (B. Razavi \& J. Sung).

An 8 GHz Silicon Bipolar Clock Recovery and Data Regenerator IC (A. Pottbacker \& U. Langmann).

too many good books, but I can get few of them in China.
And ebook version is also difficult to get.
sigh~~

You can make a system simulation use simlink first

Status
Not open for further replies.