Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design a CMOS pll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
read some basic book first

There must be lots of papers & books about PLL in this forum,so just search...

It has been more than a year.. but i guess maybe someone else in the future could use my homework project as a start. I also wrote a matlab script to model the PLL transfer function. If someone needs it, I could give upload.

u can search on internet, there are some papers .

Hi
For designing CMOS PLL you can refer Analog Circuit Design by Behzad Razavi.

If you want to start the design immediately then search for the notes by
DEAN BANERJEE.
These notes are self explanatory and give good insight into PLL design.

As far as the design process is concerned you can start with the system level modelling. This will give you good insight into the circuit operation. Also problems related to specifications of PLL can be sorted out.
You can use MATLAB or VERILOG AMS for behavioural simulations.

For transisor level design you can use Cadence Spectre or you can also use Agilent ADS.

In opposite to this question on designing a CMOS PLL, can someone redirect me to an article about a completely NON-CMOS PLL. Only discrete components or opamps please. I searching for technology of twenty years ago...seems scarce on the net nowadays.

Thanks a lot on advance

To willywalker,
there is a documentation made by thomas Lee entitled
"IC OP-Amps Through the Ages"
try to search it in Stanford University site or in Google

Does need model the system when design PLL or DLL?

jdlijj2 said:
I want to design a CMOS pll, how to begin?
give me some advices, which software is better or which book to read

1. Design the VCO to determine the Kvco.
2. Matlab behavior simulation for open loop and close loop simulation to determine
charge pump current and C1 C2 R
3. Design PFD Charge pump Counter and so on according to your matlab
parameters
4. SPICE simulation.

jdlijj2 said:

The software is up to your frequency designed.

there are so many books to refer to

you can search for it in the forum

jdlijj2 said:

you should read some papars about pll, Matlab is better for you

thanks
but we need more

pll design is hard.
first you should know the basic concepts such as setting time, random jitter and so on. you can read books or papes to get this.
then you can use matlab, veriloga or orther high level simulation tools to do some system simulation which i think is the most important for the fresh men.
after you have done these things, you can get to know each block and analyze the performance and choose a best one for your design. This stage will take you a lot of time.
hoping it can help!

reference frequency of pll

i want to design an analog pll.can i make the divider ratio, N=1.if i need output frequency,fo= 2 Ghz then should i take reference frequency also 2 Ghz in this case.

Please, can someone send me by email or give me link for downloading some books about PLL's.

Especially, i need books where PLL's with 3rd order(or higher) low-pass filter and PFD with voltage output are described! The most important is the books for PLL's with PFD with voltage output!

I am new on this forum and I read that i had to be member of this forum 14 days to download, but it's the matter of time so i need that books very soon!

I will be very grateful!

I have written several posts about the subject **broken link removed** and I intend to add more in the future.

Hi I Have designed 2Ghz.Pll

I m making use of spectre(Simulator)...........

And I have a bit little knowledge of spectre-rf if any body does have i.e. of pss

noise analysis then please guide me

Regards
Avinash

Status
Not open for further replies.