Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to declare a non input use in vhdl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ngised

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there, I have a gradually input-upwards multiplexer. I designed a general 3 bit input multiplexer with one select input and one output. My question is, that in the first level MUX_0 from the 3 bit-input I am using only one bit, so accordingly

MUX_0 = 1 bit input usage
MUX_1 = 2 bit input usage
MUX_2 = 3 bit input usage

How I declare in MUX_0 and MUX_1 the non input bit in the port map? I have been already tried with the keyword "open" but it doesn't work. A small example of my code which doesn't work see below.

Code:
CS1:carry_selector
port map ( a(0) => carry_out_sign(0),
           b(0) => carry_out_sign(1),
           a(1) => open,
           b(1) => open,
           a(2) => open,
           b(2) => open,
           sel_c0 => carry_in(2),
           carry_out => mux_in_sign(2)

);

I would expect a useful default in the entity definition, if so you can simply omit the port association. You can also assign value 'X';
Not sure how one select input bit can control a 3-bit mux?

I did that with the value '0', but it throws me an error in Xilinx=> Formal port association for 'a' is non contiguous

You must assign all bits from the same array in a port map before assigning another bus. So assign all of a before you assign b.

Showing your code other than just your port map might help. And, as FVM said, how can you control a 3-input mux with one select line?

Generally, if you're not using an input, just assign it a value. Again, without seeing your code it's impossible to see why assigning a '0' caused a problem. The error you're seeing I think occurs when you assign a value of different size than the target, for example, assigning a single-bit value to a multi-bit vector.

My code is huge, each operand has 4 bit input, its a carry select adder. I need to fix it because I have to use the for - generate statement. Yeah you have right. The input must be something, otherwise won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.