Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decide when to use PIC or AVR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pripi

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PIC or AVR how to decide

how to decide when to use a avr and when pic. I have some experience with avr so i prefere 8515 in most cases but is it a good solution. Thx

Hi

Is nice to know some fammily of uc and what they give for you
it open 8O your eays and make your life more easy for desing in
future. :p

The first problem with the most of the people is that they study one uc
and continue to work only with it( :lol: good for fast work easy debbuging,
:x bad some time you need impemelt somting that hard in the specific
uc but very easy in other).

The second big problem chose a project for uc and not a uc for the project.

Now ask yourself for what i need it(hobby,work,mass-production cost,time-market)?

All the uc are great avr , pic ,8051, m8, x86, dsp ,

If you are look for low cost in small qty,
you don't want buy ice and others tool then look
for easy interface like programming on chip that the avr give to you
but you can not debbug the system and the prog interface if i remeber is isp(i think is popular at atmel)
today you have also 8051 from atmel/siemes that give you the option for
programm isp and news ver also from the uart interface.

the pic also give you the option to prog it and some debbuging of the
system from the special serial.

all the serial tools and compillers you can find in the internet.

now after you now your otions
look on the prof that you want to build, and see howmuch mips i/o mem
pheriparial moduls you need then cose your uc.

My rec if you have time take a look on some datasheets familliar form pic avr 8051 from some comp only for the know what avaliable in the market
this not bad and will make your life easy in future for chose the correct uc for the system.

Best regards.

PIC or AVR

PICs are great commercially but suck while developing. They have a weird non-standard architecture for each chip and unless you have a good C compiler (CCS is great), be ready to spend a lot of time wondering on the architecture rather than on the algorithm.

Hi,
I am using (commercially) controllers from small A*mels up to ST10 (PIC too - of course). In the past there was only one reason for using a PIC - if we needed A/D conversion (because all the small 8051's didn't have A/D). In my opinion the real disadvantage of PICs is, that it takes a very long time to program and that they are not really cheap if you compare their performance with other controllers. Maybe cypre*s pSOC, ST7 or 68HCxx could be an alternative (for small designs)?
best regards
carllucas

Thanks! :D
The problem that I'm on is, is it OK to force usage of one chip that I'm familiare with or is there something better for some typical solutions.
The idea is to make communication from sensors to computer and register the events in some log file. I'm in a problem to decide bcause I've never made AVR 8515 talk serial RS232 standard. Now I'm stuck in a lot of papers and informations about standard, searching for some tutorial and trying to understand that.
Some practical tutorial on the web is welcome. :idea:

Thx

Re: PIC or AVR how to decide

pripi said:
how to decide when to use a avr and when pic. I have some experience with avr so i prefere 8515 in most cases but is it a good solution. Thx

If you want the easy way: choose the avr.

If you want to gain experience: choose the pic.

If you want the best/cheapest for a particular project, post more details about the project.

jetmarc

pripi said:
Thanks! :D
The problem that I'm on is, is it OK to force usage of one chip that I'm familiare with or is there something better for some typical solutions.
The idea is to make communication from sensors to computer and register the events in some log file. I'm in a problem to decide bcause I've never made AVR 8515 talk serial RS232 standard. Now I'm stuck in a lot of papers and informations about standard, searching for some tutorial and trying to understand that.
Some practical tutorial on the web is welcome. :idea:

Thx

Check out:

h**p://www.atmel.com/atmel/acrobat/doc1451.pdf
f*p://www.atmel.com/pub/atmel/avr306.zip

You can try TI's MSP430 seriers.

Best rgard!

Troubleshotting PsOC

I'd like to know why sometimes the ADC API gets into an infinite loop as in the next
example:

ADC_IN_X_Start(ADC_IN_X_HIGHPOWER);
ADC_IN_X_ClearFlag();
ADC_IN_X_GetSamples(0x01); //Starts sampling, single sample
do {
byte = ADC_IN_X_fIsData();
} while(byte == NO);
ADC_IN_X_ClearFlag();
Val_ADC_X = ADC_IN_X_iGetData(); //conversion's value

This code has been working fine in earlier versions of my application, but as the code is getting bigger,
one point is reached where the compiler doesn't cross while awaiting the conversion to end.

Can anyone of you help me with this stuff??
Tanks in avance

Do you program the avr in assembler language or in c ?
I made best experiences with cod*vision avr C. It's cheap
and very easy to use.
felix1200

Hi,

PICs are great for beginner.
But AVR are betters for non-beginner.

Pharaoh Of Egypt

It doesn't matter what UC you have but what is more important are the development tools. For developing you should have a stable development enviornment which includes C compilers , debugers and ICE. Having a good and stable development tools does decrease your devlopment time

I think you are going about this backwards. First
figure out what your requirements are (OTP or
Flash, speed, PWM, comparators, ADC's, etc).
Then go and look at what is available to fit your
needs.

Nick C.

the final project is important for choosing the right uc. one nice thing I found about avr's is that you can make all in-out pins in high impedance state, which you can only on some (rare) pins on the pics...
I made a small project for a pic which took almost twice more pins than it would have taken with avr. I saw it after I finished it...
so I think you should know (and also use) 3 to 4 different uc's to make your choice when the project comes out.

Hmm,

Have a look at this link.It can give an idea how to choose pic/avr for a project : **broken link removed**

In my personal opinion, choose atmel. ;)

Analyzer

PIC OR AVR OR ??????????????????????

YES I WILL INCLUDE THE MPS430

I HAD USED PICS AND AVR FOR THE LONGUEST TIME . LATELY I AORKED WITH THE MPS430 IT'S A BEAUTY I CERTAINLY RECOMEND IT

ITS SO LOW POWER ,ITS VERY CHEAP ,IT CAME WITH FLASH & IT"S NOT REQUIRED TO BUY A PROGRAMMER I BUILD MY OEN FET TOOL (JTAG CABLE FOR PROGRAMMING & DEBUGGING)

SEE YA!!

Re: PIC or AVR how to decide

Pic if you are developing a project for small series. Those are widely used, are cheap, and you can find them everywhere.

Better if you use a good C compiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back