Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decide what should be output common mode voltage in an LVDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, while designing LVDS driver, there is a need for CMFB circuit to stabilize the output common mode voltage. how do I decide on what should be the output common mode voltage value? what factor impact in choosing the value.

All LVDS standards specify 1.2 V nominal, range is different, e.g. 1125 mV min, 1275 mV max in IEEE 1596.3, 1.2 to 1.4 V in mini-LVDS,

All LVDS standards specify 1.2 V nominal, range is different, e.g. 1125 mV min, 1275 mV max in IEEE 1596.3, 1.2 to 1.4 V in mini-LVDS,
My supply is limited to 1.2 V. Is it still possible to get 1.2 V for output common-mode voltage?

1.2V supplied logic can hardly comply with LVDS standard. There are other high speed differential IO standards better suited for low supply voltage.

My supply is limited to 1.2 V. Is it still possible to get 1.2 V for output common-mode voltage?
A PNP transistor can provide a low-ohm path to the positive supply rail. Just like an NPN provides a low-ohm path to ground.

Or, reverse operation so that it pulls varying amounts of current from a pullup resistor connected to positive supply. Suppose you draw no current, then the node gives entire 1.2 V.

Hi,

There are LVDS buffers or translator ICs. They may be used to get true LVDS levels. But usually they need to be supplied with the specified voltage.
(Don't know whether the 1.2V requirement is just from your IC or from the complete application)

Klaus

(Don't know whether the 1.2V requirement is just from your IC or from the complete application)

Klaus

We are using 1.2 V only for all our application.s I could go and use 3.3 V also but we just want to use only one supply i.e., 1.2 V

As previously stated you can use differential signalling with 1.2V supply, but it's not compliant with LVDS standard. AC coupling may be a simple way to get 1.2V CM though if your data stream is bit balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back