Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decide output current in dac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surno

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I design 7bit 1GS/s DAC that is used in DDFS. I calculate the output current of dac by using output swing voltage and output impedence. If output voltage is 250mV and output impedece is 50ohm, output current is 250mV/50ohm=5mA.

Is this way alright?

it is not right.
what is the load impedence?

The load Cap. is 5pF.

If your DAC is a voltage output DAC; you have to design a I to V converter too. In this case you have to set the spec. yourself and the output impedence need to be taken care by the I to V converter.

For a current output DAC; the spec should be given by the user. Definitely the the load is not going to be purely resistive. It should be a parallel combination of Resistance and capacitance. In that case you can calculate back from the load. Mind that according to the step (LSB) and speed ; the DAC output current should be able to drive the above load.

hopw would help..
sankudey

surno

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
the equations u need:
(1) time constant of load (τ) =Rload*Cload=50*5=250 ps
(2) for any N-bit resolution converter, the following equation must be hold.
2^N*LSB*exp(-t/τ) < LSB/2
==> t > τ*(N+1)*ln(2)
==> 1/f > τ*(N+1)*ln(2)
(3) in ur case, f=1GHz, τ=250ps, ln(2)~=0.7, ==> N < 4.8
So, in theorem, u will never achieve 1GHz operation with 7 bit resolution
(4) to increase operation, u should decrease τ first, either Rload or Cload should
be decreased, after that Rload is calculated, then from your full scale (FS) spec. u can calculate the required current = FS/Rload

Reactions: lamoun

surno

lamoun

thank you for your kindness. ^^

Dear Btrend. I don't know the meaning of full scale spec. Please explain that the word in detail. ^^;;

Hi,
Full Scale menas when the input is swingiging full scale, i.e., for DAC 000..00 to 111...11 etc. In this case the output will also go full scale...
sankudey

Status
Not open for further replies.