Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decide for compiler to use with PIC 18F in MPLAB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

movie_freak

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Compiler for PIC

Hi,

I wanna know how to decide for a compiler to use with PIC 18F series in MPLAB. The microchip site shows some, but what is the criterion for choosing one over the other?

Many Thanks,
Surya

Re: Compiler for PIC

I use Microchips Mcc18 which is an Ansi C compiler and supports the Pic18f series very well. It is regulary updated to support new devices when they are released.
Microchip have also recently aquired Hi-Tech. So their compiler should also keep up to date with new devices. Both compilers integrate well into Mplab.
I dont think there is much difference in quality or size of produced code and speed of compile between modern C compilers. So integration with Mplab, support of new devices and Ansi C compliance is the criteria for choosing a compiler.

Compiler for PIC

CCS compilers are also very good.

CCS compilers are aimed more at the hobby end of the market.
They do not include a linker, which makes it non Ansi compliant.
A linker allows the use of libraries, reusable code modules and program partitioning for large programs.
CCS does provide a lot of ready to use code modules for using a pics peripherals.
Good for small projects and rapid application development. But you end up learning CCS and not the inner workings of the micros.
just my opinion.

Compiler for PIC

I tend to agree with btbass. CCS does restrict you a lot when it comes to large projects. Which one do you suggest for PIC16 then?

Compiler for PIC

I use Hi-Tech Pro for the low/mid range Pic16,
Mcc18 for the Pic18 and MPLAB C30 for the 16-bit micros.
I also use MPLAB IDE.
The simulator is very good. It supports a subset of SCL, a scripting language for writing testbenches.

I am eying on Pic18 with USB so, I may choose between MCC18 or HITECH C..
hmm..

Thanks Guys!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back