Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create your own switching power supply ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpt909

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
make your own switching power supply

I want to design my own switching power supply 12V 8A . Can someone help me what book i need to search for my design . Thanks in advance !

how to create our own power supply

There is a good book out there: A.I. Pressmann, Switch-Mode Power Supply Design.
There is another book: K. Billings, Switching Power Supply Handbook.

You can also go to the TI website and download the Unitrode power supply design seminars. You will find enough material to help you design your power supply.
**broken link removed**

how to create power supply

tpt909 said:
I want to design my own switching power supply 12V 8A . Can someone help me what book i need to search for my design . Thanks in advance !

I am assuming you want to build this to power your circuits and stuff, more like a general purpose power supply right?

You can do it without isolation or with isolation, I suggest going with isolation as you'll be testing all your circuits with it.

Just get a transformer with the required power rating and use a buck converter or single-leg switcher, which is better in your case as your load current is rather high.

Or, you can simply get a Computer SMPS/PSU and use it like crazy. It can source more current than your requirement and is safe too.

You don't need to do study SMPS circuits for such simple designs, just refer some standard power electronic converter textbooks for DC-DC converters. After you pick one, come back here and post specific questions that can help you finish your project. All the best.

how to create my own power supply

U can go to power integration site http://www.powerint.com/ and download the software they provide.Check all the devices .Whatever wattage required accordingly select the device.Lots of design reports are there on site.

how to create a power supply

You can use the forward converter...

Status
Not open for further replies.