Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create a ramp generator for boost converter control??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mengghee

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lm339 boost converter

Hi,
I am just wondering if anybody can give me some suggestions on how to create a ramp generator which has a frequency of approximately 50khz-100khz. I am required to build the ramp generator for the control of my boost dc to dc converter. thank you thank you. I have also been told by one of my lecturer that i would not be able to implement a boost with such a high frequency due to the capacitance in the board. is that true ? thanks...

Re: How to create a ramp generator for boost converter contr

I think this frequency is fine, I build 100kHz boosts on breadboard and they work. There will be some efficiency loss due to charging and discharging the stray capacitances, but I don't think you are going for an efficiency record..

Anyway, here is a common ramp gen I have used. It charges a cap to Vcc/2, then discharges it to 0 and starts again.

Here's how it works - On startup, R1/R2 create a threshold of Vcc/2, and the comparator gives a low output so the cap can charge up. When the cap charges up to Vcc/2, the comparator goes high. This shorts out R2, changing the reference voltage to Vcc/10 and discharges the cap quickly. Once the cap falls below Vcc/10, the comparator goes low and the cap can begin charging again.

Q3/Q4 is a current mirror used to charge the cap with a constant current. The current is (Vcc-0.65)/R7. You could simply use a 10k to Vcc to charge the cap, but the ramp would have a slight curve to it - not a big deal for experimentation, but that curve means that the gain of the PWM modulator would change slightly as the duty cycle changed - you can tell your lecturer that so they think you are a PWM master!

Usually, when I use this circuit to build a boost converter, I use the output of the comparator to force a reset on the PWM flip-flop, giving a nice max duty cycle gate and preventing the loop from locking up in the ON state.

Do you want me to draw the rest of the boost?

mengghee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

OK, I went ahead and finished the schematic. It's set up for conversion from 5v to 12v at about 80kHz. In sim, the efficiency is 89% at a 1A load (12W out).

It uses 3/4 of an LM339 quad comparator, and a handful of discrete devices. Feel free to mess around with any of the blocks. The error amp is pretty crummy, as it's just a gained-down comparator. And the mosfet driver is really crummy, even a bunch of hex inverters in parallel would be better - but at 80kHz you're not really looking for 10 nanosecond risetimes... ;)

Since this circuit is a voltage mode, you'll need a second zero - I created this by a cap across the top FB resistor, but you can use an op amp error amp with type 3 compensation, etc, if you want.

You need to supply a 1v reference to the error amp, but this is pretty much standard in regulators.

Good luck!

Thank you very much electronrancher. I will try to simulate that circuit diagram. I am also wondering if It will work if i am using a ramp generator chip such as MAX038 as i am allowed by my lecturer to use a chip. I am also wondering how to calculate efficiency of a boost converter ... thanking you in anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.