Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to copy the ADS files from one drive to another drve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raju_kambar

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sir,
I am working with the ADVANCED DESIGN SYSTEM( ADS 2008) software. I saved my all files in the two drives c:\user\default and E:\ADS_FILES. I am facing the following difficulties while copying the .dsn and .dds files.

(1) I want to copy files from c:\user\default and E:\ADS_FILES to external hard disk ( seagate backup). Two drives files are copied, when we went and checked the external hard disk, it is only showing the .dds files , it is not showing any .dsn files.How to copy the also all .dsn files to one drive to another drive. From two drives C and E drives files to the external hard disk with all .dsn files. Once it is possible to copy the all .dsn files to external hard disk,how to open the files in the external hard disk by directly clicking on the .dsn files.Is it not possible entire project file from C and E drive to external hard disk.

(2) I have copied some files from C:\user\default drive to E:\ADS_FILES drive.Directly when I went and clicked on the .dsn file in the E:\ADS_FILES , they are not all opening. Only when they will open, when ADS software will open. Is it not possible in ADS directly click on .dsn file (even though we installed ADS software)to open that files? or do we must first open ADS software and then go to the specified drive file .dsn to open.

(3) I have created many files .dsn files in E:\ADS_FILES. My all files are in the E:\ADS_FILES, now I want to copy the entire folder ADS_FILES to the some other directory, but it is not allowing the copying one folder from one drive to another drive.

(4) Suppose I have many .dsn and .dds files of ADS in the E:\ADS_FILES . Now I want to create one more folder in the same folder ( For example E:\ADS_FILES) , we may take the folder name as ADS_MW FILES. Is it possible to copy the entire folder ADS_MW FILES folder to ADS_FILES folder. One more thing , I want to copy the some of the ADS_FILES .dsn and .dds files to the some other folder in the same directory (Example ADS_MW FILES). Is it possible?Even though possible, how to open it directly without opening ADS software?.

Can anyone help me, because now I am learning ADS.

Don't copy ADS files directly,instead create a archive file and copy it on your ext. hdd.

A .dsn file as created by ADS does not contain everything that is needed to open that design. These .dsn file exist in the networks sub-directory of a project. Trying to open a dsn file directly without the project infrastructure around it will not work so just clicking on a .dsn file will never open it. ADS needs to be opened first and then attached to a project before any .dsn file it contains can be opened.

Similarly .dds files, data display files, need other data to open and these also expect to be opened in the context of an ADS project. They at least need the relevant datasets, .ds files, that contain the simulation data that they display to work. Again projects are important not just single files.

If you want to copy your work from one drive to another on your system you need to copy the entire project. You can do this with simple directory copy, if required, as long as you move everything in that project directory and as BigBoss says you can always create a archive of the entire project using ADS, copy that to the new location and then unarchive it there using ADS also.

ADS also has a Copy Project function that you could use. Open the project that you have located in c:\users\default or any other loaction and then use File > Copy Porject and browse to the required location on the external drive for the To location. Make sure that the Copy Project Hierarchy option is checked.

See this document for explanation about using ADS projects:

ADS Quick Start > Using Projects

RealAEL Sir,
I have the following doubts.
(1) If I want to copy single .dsn file and attached and send it to someone else through email, what I have to do in this case. Other person will get it easily download and open it by using ADS software. How he has to open the received .dsn or .dds file.

(2) I want to send the entire project through the email, other person can download can work through the ADS. Other person what ever we send to him, how he has to open the entire project ADS file. How I have to send the entire project to other person easily accessible format of ADS. Can you help me.

1. If you are very careful it is possible to send individual designs out of a project but you need to provide the matching .ael file as well as the .dsn file typically. This still assumes that the person receiving these files copies both files into the networks folder of an appropriate ADS project to be able to access the files. This project should be set up in a compatible way to the project from which it was sent and is usually fine if the design is schematic only design and only contains built-in parts. If it contains any subnetworks or custom parts then all these design need to be provided also. If the design has layout then both the sending and receiving projects must has similar layer definitions and unit/resolution preference setting if possible or the design will not open correctly.

It is similar for .dds files. They also need to be copied into and ADS project to be able to share them. However on their own .dds files are not very usuful. The only contain a definition of what graphs, tables and equations to display. They do not contain the simulation data that these objects actually display. This is in the .ds file that is produced by the simulation. Any .ds file read by the .dds file must be shared too.

This gets all very messy, making sure all the necessary files that are related to anything that needs to be shared is copied from one project to another. It is easier by far to:

2. Share the entire project. ADS provided a method to do exactly this using archive files. Simply open the project you wish to share (or archive for storage or back-up) and in the Main window select Files > Archive Project... and define a name and location for the archive file, making sure that the Archive Project Hierarchy check box is selected. When you run this function ADS creates a single .zap file (a modified form of a .zip file) that can then be shared or stored as necessary. It contains everything in the selected project zipped up into a compact self-contained archive. To expand the archive again simply start ADS and in the Main window select File > Unarchive Project... and select the archive file and a location where it is to be restored. ADS does everything for you. This latter process for archiving and unarchiving projects was mentioned in the link I sent you previously.

RealAEL Sir,
I followed as you said , I got it. But I am facing little problem while unarchiving project. When Archive project , I got it easily . But while unarchiving same project to some other directory( Example F:\VEN_prj) , I am getting the following error. how to overcome this difficulty and how to unarchiving some project to other directory.

You cannot unarchive a project into a folder where a project of the same name already exists. It will not overwrite the existing data. When unarchiving the project use the browse button on the second row of the interface to select a different location to expand the project.

unarchive.png

An alternative solution if you must reuse the same location would be to rename the existing project, for example VEN_prj to VEN_old_prj, prior to unarchiving the new version of the project.

Dear Sir,
I got it , how to unarchiving file. In ADS, some times I am getting errors like that LINE 3 HAS THE ERROR, CORRECT IT. It was showing, how to find the line numbers in ADS, where is the line numbers in ADS,how we have to go exactly line numbers (LINE 3 OR LINE 4 OR LINE 5......) in ADS, from where we have to read the line numbers in ADS. If I click on the error showing line number, it will not go.

RealAEL Sir,
I got it , how to unarchiving file. In ADS, some times I am getting errors like that LINE 3 HAS THE ERROR, CORRECT IT. It was showing, how to find the line numbers in ADS, where is the line numbers in ADS,how we have to go exactly line numbers (LINE 3 OR LINE 4 OR LINE 5......) in ADS, from where we have to read the line numbers in ADS. If I click on the error showing line number, it will not go.

Glad you understand about archiving.

The line numbers in error messages, and the name of the file that the line is in, are not at all useful unless you are writing the actual code that is giving the error. In that case you would know the filename/location and what to do to fix it. If not then you absolutely should not be changing any code yourself to 'fix errors' and in any case the editable code you would be wanting to change is likely not available to in your ADS installation anyway.

The useful information is the rest of the message describing the error in full. Most times error occur in a certain part of the code but the cause is something that has been incorrectly entered elsewhere in the design itself or something that is missing. If you need help with a specific error message start a new thread and describe the exact/full error message, what you were trying to do when the error occurred and if the error just started what did you just change in the design. With a complete set of information someone may be able to help you.

RealAEL Sir,
I have created one project, and created many files with .dsn and saved in the same project. What did for my convenience , I created NEW FOLDER with some name. Now I copied some files in the same project and pasted to the NEW FOLDER . Those files from outside NEW FOLDER copied to the NEW FOLDER in the same project with ending the _v1. Now What I did , I renamed those files in the NEW FOLDER ended with _v1. Now I am going to open the renamed file, am not able to open the renamed files in the NEW FOLDER, it is showing the error, those files were not allowed to open. I want to retrieve the renamed files , those are my important files. I am attaching the error message, now new folder files are showing with missing. How to retrieve these files and how to copy to the NEW FOLDER in the project without any error from outside the NEW FOLDER.

hi raju_kambar , you should import file. it is good than, no error.
why use you ADS 2011.10 ? It support more.

Missing files are very important for me, how to retrieve it in ADS2009.

The only way to regain access to these files for ADS would be to reset the filenames back to the original name from after the copy so the name with the _v1 addition. You would need to reverse the last operation that you performed. Incidently, how did you do the rename? Did you do this through ADS or directly in Windows by browsing into the networks directory of the project using the file explorer and renaming the dsn file?

RealAEL Sir,
I did as you said, reset the file name with _v1 addition,but once again it is not allowed to rename. It is showing rename error. What I did , just open the main window in ADS2009, created the NEW FOLDER, copy the files outside the NEWFOLDER in the same project and pasted to the NEWFOLDER. When they were with the _v1 addition, files were allowed easily to open. Later _v1 addition files, renamed it ( just I deleted _v1 addition), after deleting the _v1 addition for renaming. When I deleted_v1 addition, those files are not allowed to open. All these operation , I have done in the main window of ADS2009, when I opened the ADS2009.

You may be able to get access to the designs if you clear the folder configuration in the project. Close ADS and then browse into the project folder using the file explorer. In the root directory of the project delete the file project.ads. This will remove the custom display folders that were created a leave all schematic/layout design file listings at the original level. You may now be able to open all the designs as before once you re-start ADS and re-open the project.

RealAEL Sir,
What I did is, I took the backup the entire C, D , E and F drive files of my system. My ADS files are present in the 'E' and 'F' drives in the my system and same 'E' and 'F' all ADS files are copied to the as back up files to external hard disk. Now I tried to open the external hard disk back up ADS projects, those were not allowed to me to open. When I started to open the ADS backup files from the external hard disk, it was showing the following error. I am attaching error image. Please help me to open even the ADS related files from the back up or external hard disk.

RealAEL Sir,
Even I tried as what was the error showing. I didn't use use any spaces in the project and renamed the project without space also , I tried, couldn't open the ADS project , which is present in the backup.

Last edited:

It looks to me that "Seagate Dashboard 2.0" has spaces. As the error message says these are not allowed anywhere in the directory or project names.

RealAEL Sir,
Now I removed the spacings between the Seagate Dashboard 2.0". Now I am able to open the ADS project files from the backup also or external hard disk also. Thank you very much for your kind help. You are helping like anything for ADS software related problems, thank you sir. You helped lot many things to us. Before I thought that only ADS projects or file names must not be spaces, now I revealed that even external hard disk any directory also must not have spaces. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back