Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to convert rs232 to rs485

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineer khan

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am working on sim900 module i need to make a circuit containing both rs232 and rs485 port how can i achieve this easily?

Thanks in advance for removing my tension

Yes you may communicate using max-485 converter. connect the max232 to max485 and from this to another max485 then receive from this max485 to max232.

Without adding the 'intelligence' of a controller you can't completely convert one to the other. RS485 is bi-directional along two wires using two anti-phase signals, RS232 is uni-directional using independent single transmit and receive wires. The electrical conversion is easy as mentioned in the previous posts but you have to consider how you change the data direction on the RS485 side of the link.

Brian.

Coneversion as suggested in the posts 2 & 3 will not solve your query. RS485 is about differential communication. A single RX or TX line from RS232 will get converted into two lines (+ and -) of RX & TX respectively. A single IC of MAX485 or SN75176 will just give you a half duplex communication so you need to use pair of suggested IC's to attain the conversion. But before doing the design please go through clearly regarding the RS485 communication and then start proceeding.

Reactions: Dont

Dont

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.