Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to convert dB to dBi in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishal_sonam

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello
i have designed a broadband antenna using HFSS, but i m getting its gain in dB and its from 2 dB to 3db but i want gain in dBi so how can i convert dB to dBI and what is the value of 2dB to 3dB in dBi?
please help me out in this
thanks

If you look in the HFSS help, you will see that all gain in HFSS is dBi as it is the ratio of radiated power in a given direction to the power radiated over 4pi steradians (for antenna in free space)

Have Fun

Gain in dB and dBi is the same according to the IEEE Std. 145-1193

hello
i have designed a broadband antenna using HFSS, but i m getting its gain in dB and its from 2 dB to 3db but i want gain in dBi so how can i convert dB to dBI and what is the value of 2dB to 3dB in dBi?
please help me out in this
thanks

dB is just a gain figure, it doesnt relate to anything, where as dBi is specific its the gain related to a isotropic radiator
so for example if you have an antenna that has 3dBi gain and you improve it by 3dB then you now have an antenna that is 6dBi gain

D

dB is just a gain figure, it doesnt relate to anything, where as dBi is specific its the gain related to a isotropic radiator

The term "gain" itself is defined as the ratio of the power radiated of an antenna in a given direction to the power accepted by the antenna dived through 4*pi. Therefore the gain is related to the radiated power, and is exactly the same as the gain related to an isotropic radiator (an ideal isotropic radiator accepts all power and radiates it uniformly=>power dived by 4*pi). Thus the gain in dB = gain in dBi!

I found the equation that can help you.

(Power at antenna connector in dBm) + (antenna gain in dBi) = (Effective Power transmitted by the antenna in dBm).

Status
Not open for further replies.