Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert an ordinary DC motor to a servo motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

babatundeawe

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can any one help on how to convert an ordinary dc motor to a servo.

convert dc motor servo

What do you mean by "to convert"? The servo motor, whether AC or DC, has special construction that allows it to be used in high performance drives. For instance, the rotors are often made of light wieght materials that gives it low inetrtia and hence fast dynamic response. AC synchronous servo motors have permanent magnet rotors rather than iron+winding for field excitation. AC induction servo motors usually have cup-like rotors.

what do you mean by dynamic response motor

pls let me give u an overview of what i want.

i want to convert a dc continous rotating dc motor to a dc servo motor. pls any idea or schematics is wellcome

calculate transfer function of dc servo motor

Hello, babatundeawe.

The short anwer is NO.

A DC servo has permanent magnets, and a DC motor may have windings as source of mag field.
As stated by amrstaha, dynamic performance is of outmost importance in servo design, so materials and shape use to be very different in servos and conventional motors. Another point is that the servos are designed to run from full to *very low* speed.

If you try to convert one conventional motor to a servo using just external circuits you will find that the non linearities in the motor transfer function make very difficult to get a stable and usable system.

I think it would be more useful if you tell why you think you need a DC servo and why you want to make that conversion and not get a new motor.

dc servo position control

I guess that you want to make position control (rather than speed control) of the normal DC motor, Don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back