Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert AC frequency ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klugkopf

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
AC frequency conversion

Power frequency in some countries is 50 Hz, and in others it's 60 Hz. If I want to use a device that was made for 60 Hz, in a country where the power frequency is 50 Hz, what can I do?

I'm looking for commercial invertors or ways to build the circuit myself.

most of the devices will work without any problem. The major concern is if you a trying to use some AC electric motors, because their speed depends on frequency. If the voltage needed is the same you don't have problem to conect any Audio/video/PC equpment in the mains- slightly difrent frequency will not make difrence in performance.

Use a battery charger rated for source power (ie 220vac 50hz) connected to a battery (use a "smart" charger). Run an inverter rated for your output power (ie 120vac 60hz). Bonus... you get a UPS.

You may create your own power source using MM5369 as a frequency ref. But in most cases you won't have problems with the 50/60 HZ.

Hello ,

Should keep in mind that most of the power inverters

have square wave at the output , this is a problem with inductive loads.

For example ac Motors and Transformers.

check this link

h**p://hobby_elec.piclist.com/e_ckt30.htm
h**p://hobby_elec.piclist.com/e_ckt8.htm#3

Regards

Garfield :eek:

it is no need to convert in most cases.but sometimes a elec clock use the power AC frequence as conter,it will cause problem.if so,it is difficult to convert,it is too expensive.
hope helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back