Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to control the motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy_sia

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
simple motor bjt circuit

I'm curently having some problems with the motor application.
First of all, the motor i'm currently using is a DC motor.
Most probably a 12-24V DC-Motor.
The DC Motor should rotate in both back and forward directionn automatically..
Is there any other method to control the change of direction of the motor without involving a microcontroller..?
Can any mechanical method involve..?

tommy_sia

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
4011 l293d

tommy_sia said:
I'm curently having some problems with the motor application.
First of all, the motor i'm currently using is a DC motor.
Most probably a 12-24V DC-Motor.
The DC Motor should rotate in both back and forward directionn automatically..
Is there any other method to control the change of direction of the motor without involving a microcontroller..?
Can any mechanical method involve..?
Besides voltage (12-24V), it's important to know the current rating of the DC motor.

The 2nd link provided by MaverickMax is good:
http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/robotics/tutorial/h-bridge/bjt-circuit.html

If the motor current rating is not too high (less than 1A), you may consider using L293 IC from Texas Instruments as shown in the attached figure.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
Yes, it's possible to change the rotational direction of the motor without involving microcontroller. You can use a single-pole double-throw mechanical switch to change the direction of motor rotation.

dc motors goes back and forward

BUT THE THING IS THAT WE NEED A MICROCONROLLER FOR CONTROLLING THE H-BRIDGE?? RIGHT

dc motor l293d 24v

mexx said:
BUT THE THING IS THAT WE NEED A MICROCONROLLER FOR CONTROLLING THE H-BRIDGE?? RIGHT
No. You do not need any microcontroller if you do not require (automatic) speed control. You can use mechanical switch to simulate the 'high' or 'low' signal as shown in my first post.

tommy_sia

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
l293d texas instruments back driving

U can use DSP to control motor

h bridge bjt pwm pdf

u could use an oscillator to drive 'c' and 'd' inputs on the H-bridge circuit - the period will control the rate of rotation back and forth

h-bridge change rotation direction

a H-Bridge..
well....i'm applying it in my project..which is the "Automatic Swing System"
Have u seen those playground swings....?
my project is based on that concept....the only thing is that it swings back forward automatically....

I'm attatching a circuit which i tot could help me solve my problem..
Can you give me any comment regarding this circuit....

But i was confuse about the operation.
For example, if the motor is rotating in clockwise direction, can i immediately change the polarity to rotate it in the opposite direction?
By doing so, can the motor be damage due to the immediate change of current?

motor drive + lecture note

well , to control the direction of the motor h bridge(l293d from ti) is the best choice.
for controlling the speed u've to use PWM wave.

Added after 13 minutes:

hi

i saw ur ckt. i dont think problem will arise due to immediate change in polarity. i never had such problems in such ckts. i would suggest the use of L293D (h bridge driver from texas instruments) which needs feed of 10,01 pattern. the ckt will become simpler and it can drive up to 1.2 amps.

speed control of dc motor by using l293d

In the circuit, the following devices were used:
1) IRF511 - N-Channel Power Mosfet
2) 4011 - 2-Input NAND Gate

I think you might have problem to drive the High-Side mosfets using 4011.

Instead of using power mosfets, you may consider power transistor as given in the following website:
**broken link removed**

By the way, do you know the current rating of the motor?

Motor is a quite tough device. Immediate change of Forward/Reverse control signal will not damage the motor. Pls see the attachment for simulation of such scenario.

motor control tutorial

you can use circuit h-bridge control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back