Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to control DSP via RS232 serial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiongnr

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a DSP(TMS320F2812) development board with a serial,so I want to use the serial to control the DSP and DAC to generate a pulse waveform.

How should I do?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

You could send data between a host PC (running Windows, Linux or OSx) and the DSP development board over a serial link. Software such as Matlab (and Octave) and Modern IDEs supporting languages such as C++, C#, etc usually have a API which supports serial communications. The main problem with RS232 serial is it slow (maximum may be 115200baud) compared to a DSP. Does the dev board have a Ethernet 10/100baseT connection? if so use that ?

You could send data between a host PC (running Windows, Linux or OSx) and the DSP development board over a serial link. Software such as Matlab (and Octave) and Modern IDEs supporting languages such as C++, C#, etc usually have a API which supports serial communications. The main problem with RS232 serial is it slow (maximum may be 115200baud) compared to a DSP. Does the dev board have a Ethernet 10/100baseT connection? if so use that ?

I have also done that !Hope you help your !

I am sorry,but the development board does not have a ethernet connection.

Now we use CCS(code composer studio)to control the DSP,but I can not use CCS to creat a visual window which can be used to control the DSP conveinient.

Can I use visual basic to control the DSP by RS232?

yes. if you have a modern version of VB such as Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Basic Express 2010 it has in the toolbox a SerialPort Component which allows you communicate with external devices over a serial port such as COM1:
Initially run a virtual terminal such as hyperterm or teraterm and check that the DsP can send serial text to it OK. Then write a VB program to receive and display the text. When that is working you can send your data, either as text strings or in 8 bit binary.
The last time I used a Texas TMS320C6000 series board it has a 10BaseT interface - makes communication a lot easier.

you can use MScom32.ocx activex component for serial communcation programming under VB and VC++ the same component can be used in VB as well as in VC++ programming

Status
Not open for further replies.