Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to control DDR RAM on motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelr

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ddr ram control

I need to know how I might be able to use the /CS chipselect and also do memory access to one or the other DDR RAMs i have in the socket. Anybody any advice?

Thanks

ddr ram+control

Hello,

I'm afraid it is not possible to directly access the signals of the DDR SDRAM. Usually, if we are speaking about standard x86 technology, the memory is connected to a MCU (memory management unit) that is either integrated on the CPU (AMD), or on the Nordbridge of the chip-set (Intel). The MCU basically maps the virtual memory-space that is used by the CPU respectivly the OS to the physical memory-space (RAM, HDD, etc).
As far as i know, there is no possibility to hack or bypass the MCU so that you can directly control the SDRAM, indeed it is no good idea to do so, because the MCU also handles the whole memory protection and all that jazz.

May i ask why you want to directly access the control lines of your DDR SDRAM?

Best regards,
magixD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back