Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to control 12V with 5V ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,

One simple question, I've a 6.5V DC signal that should be switched on/of controlled by a 5V DC control signal. How to do it?
Thanks for any help.

regards,

Hi,

the simplest way can be a relay.
But if you tell us current values too I think the answer can be more serious....

Syzzler

You do not write how large the current of the 6.5 VDC signal is. Different solutions may be the best depending on the current requirements, likewise if the control voltage and the 6.5 VDC must be fully electrically isolated from each other.

The simplest solution (in case they must not be fully isolated) would be to make use of a switch arrangement based on MOSFET:s. Should the requirement be at hand that the 5 VDC and the 6.5 VDC signals must be fully isolated from each other, then I would suggest a design based on so called solid-state-relays.
The are essentially opto-couplers but with a power MOSFET as the output. I assume that such exists that exhibits the quality of not needing knowledge of which of the output's must be connected to the most positive and/or negative signal. I.e. they operate as a relay but consumes much less power and does not suffer from contact bounces or mechanical fatigue problems.

/Pim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back