Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to continually read data from a COMPORT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neyolight

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone

I need some guidance over reading data from one of my COMPORT. I have a sensor which is connected to my laptop via serial-USB convertor. I am receiving data at comport every 1 minute (this can alter). I want to continually read this data and save in a text file or most preferably excel.

How do I do this task? The data is ready at comport every 1 minute, I just have to continually read it and then save it. Currently I am using hyper terminal to read this data. I type in the command to get data every minute. How do I automate this process?

Thanks

Hi,

Use Bluetooth Accelerometer Demo from TI and Mindtree. It reads data from COM port continuously. You may be able to customize it.

I use it, but I am a beginner in Bluetooth. So I don't know how you can customize it.

See here: **broken link removed**

Download, MSPEXP-PAN13XX-SDK-GA. It contains Accelerometer Demo.

Regards,

Imran Patel

If the accelerometer is currently functioning properly, in that the expected data stream is viewable in Hyperterminal, then one of the simplest methods would be to capture the data stream to a file.

Most terminal emulation software provides a method of file capture.

Do you have any experience in programming in .NET Framework? Or VB6?

If so, you could always write a small app which captures the data stream directly and formats as to your requirements.

More than like, the TI demo to which imranpatel is referring, was written in one of the many languages supported by the .NET Framework.

Another option would be to utilize MATLAB, which offers routines to process a data stream from directly from a COM port and write the results to a file.

The correct choice depends largely on which option you feel the most comfortable.

BigDog

I am comfy with MATLAB as I have used it a lot during undergrad.

What puzzles me is that I do the same search on Google “Read comport using MATAB" but I never find such useful link like you BigDog.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks imranpatel. I am quite familiar with C# too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back