Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect screened cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seyyah

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
connecting screened cables

I have a motor system with optical encoder. I have two boards. One is control board and the other is power board. These boards are connected via a flat cable which is 20-25cm. Without encoder is in operation, everything seems ok. But when it's in operation, output to the motor is affected. This happens even if i completely isolate the encoder. Then i'm suspicous that encoder pulses affect this 20-25 cm long cable from the air. I'll reduce this cable as possible as i can. But before that, i'm planning to use screened cable both for encoder connection and the cable between the boards. What i wonder is how will i connect this screened cable or how will i connect it to ground? Which ground should i connect it and which side of it? If any other suggestions about this problem i'll appreciate it also. Thanks.

Try to do the following:

- run shielded wires from rotary encoder in twisted pairs to limit straight line antenna effects ..

- ground signal common wiring at one point and, if possible, float this ground from Earth ..

- connect all shields to Earth (PE) at one end to drain the induced voltages ..

Regards,
IanP

When i connect the ground to earth, it worsened the situation. When i connect the cables screen to its own ground. It made a little better. I couldn't solve the problem and it made me mad. I want a world without noise:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back