Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect RS232 to IR and send data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yupng

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to connect d RS232 to a wireless, so it can send data via wireless.
Anyone can help

ne555 rs232

There are plenty of wireless RX/TX with RS232 input but question is so more vague, you have also to define the frequency range (ISM, 433 MHz, ecc...).
For example you can look at the LPRS web site, one model that I've used in the past was the Easy Radio ER400TRS on 433 MHz at 19200 bps (**broken link removed**).

Hope it help

Bye
Pow

yupng

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
max232 infrarot

thanks for reply.
Actually i want connect RS232 to an infarad and send the data out. At receiver there, i received the data and change it back RS232 signal.

max232 led tx rx

Use any IR led with phototransistor to make a IR circuit then connect it with TX RX just like an optocoupler.

yupng

rs232 project 433 mhz

To be able to connect the RS232 to IR you must understand how RS232 works. 12 volts sends '0', -12 volts sends '1'. When you want to Tx you want the led to light up. So you must modulate the input signal ( RS232 ) with the carrier frequency which you choose (e.g 90KHz with NE555 ), this will turn the IR EMITTER on/off. Pay special attention to the average current of the IR EMITTER. More current = more distance, too much current no distance...

On the receiver end you must filter out your signal from other infrared sources such as light, sun, convert the signal to RS232. Use an oscilloscope to visualze the signals...

the receiver has to filter the noise, amplify the signal, convert to TTL then to RS232.

yupng

easy radio er400trs and rs232

tkoWD said:
To be able to connect the RS232 to IR you must understand how RS232 works. 12 volts sends '0', -12 volts sends '1'. When you want to Tx you want the led to light up. So you must modulate the input signal ( RS232 ) with the carrier frequency which you choose (e.g 90KHz with NE555 ), this will turn the IR EMITTER on/off. Pay special attention to the average current of the IR EMITTER. More current = more distance, too much current no distance...

On the receiver end you must filter out your signal from other infrared sources such as light, sun, convert the signal to RS232. Use an oscilloscope to visualze the signals...

the receiver has to filter the noise, amplify the signal, convert to TTL then to RS232.

Thanks for reply.
Do u have any example of this project? Is any wireless connection is more suitable and easy compared with using IR.

rs232 signal width

I have these two pictures that i managed to restore from my harddrive, the transmitter and the receiver. You must use after the receiver a filter, a wave rectifier, a peak detector and a comparator. This is all i could remember hope it helps.
This is only one way of doing this but i guess there are many other ways, you must do some research

yupng

rs232 max232 infrared

Look at

https://irda.org/ standards for computer interfaces

also search: IrDA

There are IC's made for the purpose.

yupng

max232 ir

I am trying to build an Infrared Transmitter and receiver that will take an RS-232 signal, convert it into TTL, then Pulse Width Modulation would be applied, and then finally transmitted. On the reciever side, basically extracting the orignal TTL signal from the Pulse Width Modulated signal and converting it back to RS-232.
Anyone can give me some guidance about this project?

Re: RS232

hmmm, you used a MAX 232 and connect it to the TX and RX of that IC to the RX and TX of your device....

you can see the specification of what i'm saying to you find the specification of the MAX 232CWE on the net...

example:

MAX232 - Infrared Device
TX - RX
RX - TX

best regards,
randell_xtian :D:D:D

yupng

RS232

i don't really remember but i know some chips existed that used for this propose by the way rfPIC also existed and you can use these series of micros

if i want connect a wireless transmitter to RS232 for the purpose to transfer data from PC to another device. What is the suitable IC that i need to use? At the receiver there,i would like to change it back to RS 232. Actually i done a project (announcement board) which is transfer the data from PC to display device(dot matrix display). I transfer the data from PC through RS 232 port with using cable connected between RS232 port and display device. I need to improve my project to transfer data using any kinds of wireless connection. So anyone know which wireless transmitter and receiver suitable to replace the cable? Any suggestions?
Can give me any references.

tkoWD said:
I have these two pictures that i managed to restore from my harddrive, the transmitter and the receiver. You must use after the receiver a filter, a wave rectifier, a peak detector and a comparator. This is all i could remember hope it helps.
This is only one way of doing this but i guess there are many other ways, you must do some research

I am trying to build an Infrared Transmitter and receiver that will take an RS-232 signal, convert it into TTL, then Pulse Width Modulation would be applied, and then finally transmitted. On the reciever side, basically extracting the orignal TTL signal from the Pulse Width Modulated signal and converting it back to RS-232.
Anyone can give me some guidance about this project?

RS232

very easy, you guys are over thinking this problem I have done this several times with laser diodes. you just need and MAX232 and a tx diode and rx diode (one is a photo transistor and the other a photo diode) connect these to the max232 chip through a transistor (for current reasons) and your circuit is finished.

Does this make since?

b4bb4ge said:
very easy, you guys are over thinking this problem I have done this several times with laser diodes. you just need and MAX232 and a tx diode and rx diode (one is a photo transistor and the other a photo diode) connect these to the max232 chip through a transistor (for current reasons) and your circuit is finished.

Does this make since?

can explain in more detail? Really need help about this.

from port rs232->max232->IR transmitter module(TX)->TR receiver module(RX).
It is work?
In MAX232 IC, there have TX and RX, so need use two IR transmitter and receiver?

MAX232 - Infrared Device
TX - RX
RX - TX

Hey to everyone....i want built a "Wireless Announcement Board". I would like to use a PC to send the data out(using RS232 port) to Microcrontroller,the data(a word or character) will display on dot-matrix screen. I found many similiar project in this forum and most of the project using cable to connect RS232 port and microntroller. For me, i want to make it wireless(no cable is used to connect RS232 port and microntroller).
Anyone can help me? Pls.......
Anyone of u have a good idea for this "Wireless Announcement Board" beside the meathod i meantion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back