how to connect PATA hard disk to usb port and use as external hard disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mishra12

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi experts
i have one 8GB maxtor hard disk and i want to use this device as external hard disk connecting to USB port .i want circuit diagram .here is the picture .

Attachments

• DSC08045.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 164

You also get a cable with USB at one end and a module that can connect to a 2.5" OR 3.5" PATA as well as SATA at the other. For 3.5" drives, there is also an external power supply included.

Here in Mumbai, it costs around Rs.300/-

Great for those emergency situations as well, where you need to connect a hard disk from one system onto another for salvaging data.

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

The cable I refer to would connect to the IDE port on your drive; the other end of the cable is USB, and it would plug into your PC. The external drive casing Sanjubluerock talked about would work in a similar way, except it would house the drive within itself.

Also, since you are using a 3.5" drive, you'd need to connect the power connector to the supply which comes with both, the USB to SATA/PATA cable as well as the drive casing. I personally prefer the cable, because it is more versatile (2.5" or 3.5", SATA or PATA).

Just remember to configure your drive as a Master with these interfaces.

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

Hi, yours is 3.5" ide hdd.better you can buy ide to usb converter .it's very cheap .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…