Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect MPEG4 to ARM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EleApollo

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a project for monitor and control on the security. But I am lack of the experience about the application it. Who can help me?
How can I effectively connect the MPEG4 decoder IP/enceoder IP and the ARM Core?
Tia

Re: SOS! How to connect MPEG4 to ARM?

Could you give us more information? Why you want to connect MPEG4 chip with ARM CPU? I do not think ARM could process the MPEG4 media flow at line speed.

SOS! How to connect MPEG4 to ARM?

The data flow as follows:
1. the Sample/Hold fatch the data and transfer to the mpeg4
2. the mpeg4 compress and data process, and transfer the internet and the ARM
3. the arm control the controller.

Normally commercial IP cores come with good documentation how to use the core and with a sample top-level file and test bench files.

Since we don't know here which exact core you have and what signals there are nobody can help you. Also what language is the core written in?

I strongly suggest to contact the company where you bought the IP core since you obvioulsy paid a lot of money for it....

And never write "SOS" in your subject again..there is no such thing as urgency here...it is a free forum with people helping for free!!!

I doubt that the ARM could transfer some many packet to internet. I may give you some information to reference the packet process ability of some CPU.
MPC860 50MHz 10-20Mb Data
MPC8245 300MHz 50M-60Mb Data
Someone tell me that MPC860's ability also could be upto 50Mb. However, this may need a lot of hard work on software.

Ok .. Friend according to what you describe maybe the solution can be SOFT and not hardware .you don't mention the level of performance of the bit rate required .There is a product from TI called OMAP is a BI-Processor architecture an ARM and a DSP .. there are libs for MPG4

Take a look at TI's site for the OMAP line !

There is a document sprm098d.pdf that lists the third party VIDEO and IMAGING vendosr that offer MPEG4 decoders for several TI's dsp
The one for tha OMAP is from the company UB video
**broken link removed**

There is a new family of Ti dsps for MULTIMEDIA .. look at the Ti site again
all the mpeg4 stuff on ti's dsp :
**broken link removed**

SOS! How to connect MPEG4 to ARM?

Thanks all.
there are two plan to select:
1. DSP(TI)/ARM + Hardware(ME/DCT)
2. hardware do all work on mpeg4.

I can't decide to which to execute.
anyone can give some advisor.
Tia

For performance, 2) solution may be preferred to. But for price, the fisrt solution is good assuming performance metric is met. So which architecure to choose depends on requiremenst.

scheme 1 is the more flexible
scheme 2 is the better performace

EleApollo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back