Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to connect DC supply to Bias Tee

Status
Not open for further replies.

critac

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a beginner at RF and electronics, but I have a Mini-Circuits ZFBT-4R2G-FT+ 10-4200MHz Bias Tee. It has a sigle DC Feedthrough pin to connect the DC supply. I cannot figure out how to attach my DC supply as it should have atleast 2 connectors to connect my live and neutral to it. The attached image contains my bias tee. So as the title states, how do I connect my power supply to it?

IMG_20220823_135553.jpg

The feedthough pin has this text on the bottom:

IMG_20220823_140858.jpg

Solution
The SMA connector (RF & DC) goes to your transistor, to bias the gate/base OR the drain/collector.
The (-) of your power supply goes to the GND and the (+) goes to the DC.
If you want to bias simultaneus the gate/base AND drain/collector, you need another Bias-Tee.
Some transistors (GaAs FET or GaN) needs negative bias voltage on their gates.
The SMA connector (RF & DC) goes to your transistor, to bias the gate/base OR the drain/collector.
The (-) of your power supply goes to the GND and the (+) goes to the DC.
If you want to bias simultaneus the gate/base AND drain/collector, you need another Bias-Tee.
Some transistors (GaAs FET or GaN) needs negative bias voltage on their gates.

critac

Thanks a lot! I am using this bias tee to power a LNB to repurpose a TV Dish, I dont know what transistor my LNA uses and I cant find a datasheet for it. I'll try looking at it more closely. I also realised that the DC return is form coax shielding and hence why i need to connect to Ground. Thank you for your answer!!
Solution
The "chassis ground" solder post on the left is your DC bias supply return and the insulated feed through on the right is the supply voltage.

Reactions: critac

critac

Thank you, I realised that the shielding on coax is the returnpath for DC.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back