Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to configure HFSS to optimally use an HPC license without a DSO licensee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeboraHarry

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
tallface65 mentioned some time back a bug in HFSS 14.0 which prevents frequency sweeps in parallel without a Distributed Solve Option (DSO) license, which was fixed in HFSS 14.01. See:

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/254566/

Does anyone know if that bug was introduced in 14, or if its in 13.0 or 13.02 too? I seem to get the same problem on HFSS 13.02. Here is how I configured HFSS 13.02 I get the feeling what I'm doing here does require a DSO license, and so fails and there is no way out of it. Getting a DSO license is out of the question due to financial reasons. This is what the license I have permits
Code:
# Products licensed in this file:
# 1. Ansoft Full-Wave SPICE (For HFSS) : 1 license(s), LEASE expiring 20-Nov-2012.
# 2. Ansoft HFSS : 1 license(s), LEASE expiring 20-Nov-2012.
# 3. Ansoft HFSS-IE Solver : 1 license(s), LEASE expiring 20-Nov-2012.
# 4. Ansoft HFSS/Q3D HPC Pack : 1 license(s), LEASE expiring 20-Nov-2012.
# 5. Ansoft Optimetrics (For HFSS, Q3D Extractor, Maxwell) : 1 license(s), LEASE expiring 20-Nov-2012.
# 6. AnsoftLinks - for MCAD (Enables IGES, STEP and Pro/E import) : 1 license(s), LEASE expiring 20-Nov-2012.

12_1343919452.png

If anyone (especially tallface65) can show me how to set up HFSS 13.0, 13.02 or 14.0 (but not 14.01) optimally to make use of multiple cores on one machine, with an HPC license, but without needing a DSO license, I would appreciate it. BTW, in the above example, 192.168.1.200 is the local host. I know it is possible to just write "localhost" there, but I tried using the IP address too, in the vague hope that would work, but it did not.

This is how I set up the HFSS options.

91_1343920072.png

Are these optimal, given I don't have a DSO license?

Last edited:

Since you have a valid license why don't you ask the ANSYS support and you keep asking for license issues here?
If this is a bug that they are aware of I'm sure they will help you resolve it.

I am not an HFSS user, but somethings looks strange to me:

Multi-core simulation (use all cores on the same machine) and distributed (cluster) simulation are usually two different topics.
Are you sure you want to configure distributed computing?

I am not an HFSS user, but somethings looks strange to me:
Multi-core simulation (use all cores on the same machine) and distributed (cluster) simulation are usually two different topics.
Are you sure you want to configure distributed computing?

Certainly when I was on an HFSS course, taught by Ansys, we were shown to set up the laptop using the distributed computing window I showed. I recall the instructor saying you could either put "localhost" or the name of the laptop, which was displayed on on it with a sticky label. We were told to do this 4 times, as the laptops provided were quad-core, so I put "localhost" in 4 times. We were not provided with a remote server, so the point of setting this up was to run on the laptop.

I suspect once a distributed license is in place, you can distribute some or all tasks on a local machine if you want.

There are certainly some parts of HFSS which the High Performance Computing (HPC) license permits, but I'm not exactly sure on that limits of that. Even when I had some discussions with an Ansys engineer, he was not exactly sure. I don't have easy access to Ansys - hence my reason for asking here.

Deborah

Last edited:

HFSS 13 and prior versions did not support the HPC license in a way that would allow simultaneous solving of frequencies. These earlier versions required the DSO license to solve frequencies simultaneously, which explains your error. This was a new feature added to the HPC license in HFSS 14.0.0 though it was a bug that it would not work with DSO. However, as stated, HFSS14.0.1 resolved this bug as far as I am aware and this patch is available for download from their customer portal.

Have Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back