Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to concatenate 8Bit binary EEPROM files to get a 32Bit binary file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehdi1357

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am working on a reverse engineering project based on the MC68020 Motorola 32Bit processor. The program is stored in 4x8Bit EEPROM as the instruction memory. However, my EEPROMs only have 8bits data output, but I want my instructions to be 32bits long.

How can I combine these four binary files horizontally to get a 32-bit binary file?
Do you know any trusted tools or software?

Hi,

Just to confirm: You have 4 EEPROM ICs each with n x 8 bit data memory?
You have the EEPROMs or do you have files?

If I remember right, then there was a software (GUI) option to choose which byte (significance) to program into the EEPROM.
I guess there was an according way back.
So what programmer and what programming software do you use?

Klaus

Hi,

Just to confirm: You have 4 EEPROM ICs each with n x 8 bit data memory?
You have the EEPROMs or do you have files?
Klaus

I have 4 binary files read backed from EEPROMs.
I used "XELTEK SUPERPRO 3000U" programmer to read back EEPROMs, but I did not find any option or tools to merge horizontally these files.

You might find it easier to use 2^Nx8 PROMs
in parallel, just like the data is? I had a hard
time finding fast, wide, deep EPROMs last I
looked, and x8 made the most sense at the
next level assembly. Just put 4 in parallel
across the address field, and arrange
outputs in byte-weight-order?

Now if you needed the output as x1 serial,
that wouldn't play so well (without some
added serializer). But think about how to
best slice the bologna.

Dick, you missed a point.
OP wants to combine 4 binary files into one, not with concatenation (one after the other). Concatenation can easily be done in CMD:
Code:
copy /b File1.bin+File2.bin+File3.bin+File4.bin File32bit.bin
As I understood from OP's first post, 32-bit file should be something like this:
Code:
Byte(0) from File1.bin, Byte(0) from File2.bin, Byte(0) from File3.bin, Byte(0) from File4.bin
Byte(EOF-1) from File1.bin, Byte(EOF-1) from File2.bin, Byte(EOF-1) from File3.bin, Byte(EOF-1) from File4.bin

... or even
Code:
Byte(0) from File4.bin, Byte(0) from File3in, Byte(0) from File2.bin, Byte(0) from File1.bin
Byte(EOF-1) from File4.bin, Byte(EOF-1) from File3.bin, Byte(EOF-1) from File2.bin, Byte(EOF-1) from File1.bin
depending on which 'endian' it is.

What is more important is the format of the result, what should it be and for what purpose is it needed?

Brian.

srec_cat -unsplit option should be able to perform the intended operations.

Brian, of course, I just gave the example :)
As the OP wrote, he is reverse engineering a contraption so it is easy to figure the position of bytes in long (just a DMM with beeper ON) ;)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back